• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Do Ukrainians still go birding ? (1 Viewer)

moose1991

Alces alces
Are any members in touch with Ukrainian birders ?
I was wondering if they still got chance to go birding & have an escape from the war.
I did wonder if wandering around the countryside in wartime with a pair of bins & a camera might not be a clever thing to do.

I remember an old Birdforum member years ago was a US soldier who kept a birding blog whilst in Iraq.
I wonder if anyone is doing the same in UA.

Are any members in touch with Ukrainian birders ?
I was wondering if they still got chance to go birding & have an escape from the war.
I did wonder if wandering around the countryside in wartime with a pair of bins & a camera might not be a clever thing to do.

I remember an old Birdforum member years ago was a US soldier who kept a birding blog whilst in Iraq.
I wonder if anyone is doing the same in UA.

None that I know are doing anything but flat packing Russians.

Ring-billed Gull was a new species for the country just after the outbreak of hostilities - it spent time on a river in the Kiev area. This however was detected by GPS data, guessing locals were otherwise engaged at that time.

As for now, life in many parts of western Ukraine is pretty close to some kind of normality, cafes open etc. There are not big numbers of active birders in the country in any case, but at least some of them are birding - Facebook site for Ukrainian birding has numerous posts/photos from recent days.

Last edited:
Some years ago I spoke with birders who birding during World War 2. Because of risk of bombing dams, the water released, so was many waders during migration time.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back