• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Do we look for problems?? (1 Viewer)

Rg548

Retired Somewhere
United Kingdom
I have been reading lots of posts about problems with various Binoculars, from all the manufacturers.
I'm beginning to wonder if, the more we spend, the harder we look for problems.

The top flight binos are all exceptional these days. Really exceptional.
But..... Swaros have rolling ball and flare issues, Leica aren't flat field, and optically lagging behind according to some, but then they're not flat field, but then they'd probably have rolling ball effect if they were!!!!..... Ultravid 32's are really small, but there's no eye relief according to some, but you can't have good eye relief on a bino built so compact. Pocket Binos are amazingly small, and optically superb for what they are..... but they're all to fiddly, difficult eye placement etc..... it kind of goes hand in hand with the tiny design!!!
Or try CL 8/10 x 25's....much easier handling..... oh wait, they are just a tiny bit too big for a 'pocket bino'.
Nothing is perfect.....
But years ago, Zeiss built the Victory FL series that came out at an astonishing nearly £2000 well over a decade ago. They were built without compromise to the best standards available at that time. They tried to build the perfect binocular....not restricted by costs...
Optically staggering in it's day..... but this meant the use of Abbe Koenig prisms and then composite body to try and reduce a bit of that weight, and make them good for all climates, but they were still too heavy, the body was too plasticky, not premium enough, and they were too big. The view was good though, still stands the test of time today.
It seems whatever they come up with, it's not good enough, and I reckon the more we spend, the more we look for problems. Can't believe how many dissatisfied people there are with Alpha level optics.
NL Pures, Ultra's, Noctovids, SF's are all just amazing I reckon, I've looked through them all, and then Kowas, Conquests at less than half the cost, are simply superb for the money....
but of course they're not built in the right place😅.
Most designs are a compromise, be that handling, weight, size, optical quality, or country of manufacture.

I can't wait for the perfect bino, really small for my pocket, lightweight, fantastic low light capability, big enough to handle comfortably, no blackouts, good eye relief, optically perfect, flat field to the edge with no rolling ball, fantastic accessories, awesome warranty.... It's gonna be ace😅😂🤣

I think it's only natural to expect more expensive binoculars to perform better. Why spend £1500 on a pair when you can get another for £150? What is it that justifies the order of magnitude in cost difference? If you spent £150 knowing that there is a £1500 binocular out there, then I'm sure you'll be content with what you've got, recognising that some corners must have been cut to let you buy them for so much less than the others. If you're upgrading from a £150 pair to a £1500 pair, then you're going to expect there to be a noticeable improvement for that jump in cost and you'll likely complain if there isn't.

Rg548, That sums it up pretty well. I went backto birding. I might add one idea. Does the complaining track price or how about time spent on Birdforum?

As you point out - all optical device choices are a compromise of features to align with personal preferences.

While each of the top Alphas are exceptional in their own right, they are far from identical in performance - feature to feature and view to view. Personally find the in-depth comparisons of favored / disfavored features and preferences from experienced members often quite helpful and informative. Don’t find the idea that folks should just smile and be silent about what they feel could be improved or what they like better at all helpful. BTW - I do marvel at the fantastic views produced by many Alphas. But, to part with the vast monies required to buy a new Alpha it is becoming a bigger and bigger challenge to produce something significantly better than those already in existence.

Bored people with first world problems.
Of course one expects quality to reflect the price - people asking about cheaper binos are always sneeringly told they will get what they pay for.
But permanent nitpicking and looking for nearly non-existent problems until one is found is probably more a reflection of the persons' attitudes to life than the actual items under scrutiny.
Very rarely does one see posts here where the poster ie either generally happy with what they have or regards any 'issues' as so minor that they do not preclude their enjoyment of looking at the wonderful world we live in.

We need more hippies in the birding/bino/spotter world ☮️

Optical perfection exists, the Nikon 10x50 WX, ergonomically less so. Back in the 50s (or so) David Bushnell asked for a “spare no expense” model and the Rangemaster 7x35 was the result, wonderfully wide, still great, though of course the coatings are a lower spec than we can now obtain, the field ain’t flat and the eye relief is a little tight.

We really are blessed in the performance and quality we can get for very reasonable money.

Peter

This all may be very well be so, for some, but 2020 and 2021 is a sales record braking episode for every optics brand.
It wouldn't have been if the overwhelming majority didn't felt different.

Jan

Bored people with first world problems.
Of course one expects quality to reflect the price - people asking about cheaper binos are always sneeringly told they will get what they pay for.
But permanent nitpicking and looking for nearly non-existent problems until one is found is probably more a reflection of the persons' attitudes to life than the actual items under scrutiny.
Very rarely does one see posts here where the poster ie either generally happy with what they have or regards any 'issues' as so minor that they do not preclude their enjoyment of looking at the wonderful world we live in.
Bravo!

Hi Ignatius,

I think you have a very selective perception here!

Take a look at the many exuberant reports about the new NL, the SLC are very popular, there are also a lot of positive reports about the SF, the list could of course be expanded.
Of course, such reports often trigger a lengthy discussion, there are pros and cons, but in my opinion the above-mentioned models and other high-level binoculars are described rather very positively, and even of the the middle class glasses are rated better and better!
People often have a tendency to weight negative reports higher (bad news are good news!) and the impression that binocular YX is a complete failure quickly arises, even if there are 8 positive and 2 negative reviews!

But maybe there is a statistician on board who evaluates all reports, then we can compare our selective perceptions.
We need more hippies in the birding/bino/spotter world ☮️
Then we're already two...(y)

Andreas

before any misunderstandings arise ... in retrospect, the "plastic housings" of the FL have more than proven themselves, they are robust and very durable, imho one of the best housings ever made.
In retrospect, suspected weaknesses can turn out to be great strengths.

Andreas
Oh, I totally agree, I think they look and feel premium. Zeiss should have stuck to their guns with that one, and not bowed to pressure from buyers..... who probably don't know as much about Binos as Zeiss do.... but think they do!!

Yes, we sure do look for problems. That's how we choose between competing options. (And often it circles around "First world problems"!)

As some here are well aware, I often cheer for my favorites, which I am exceptionally happy with. But of course, they're alphas. They should be great. :rolleyes:

UVHD+ 8x32, 10x32, and 7x42. Also 8x32 SF and 10x32 SF. Those bins were sure done exceptionally well, as far as my preferences go! And the Conquest HD 8x32s are quite well done. Kudos to Leica and Zeiss.

For more modest expenditure, I was quite impressed with Opticron Traveller 8x32 and Zeiss Terra 8x32. Yes, I had some minor quibbles with each of them, but overall - I found that they offered a lot of good performance for less than $500.

Every choice you make in life involves compromise in some way or other! Once that concept is fully recognized and accepted... things seem to go a bit easier. You decide what you can put up with, to get what you prefer.

Last edited:
This is not a comprehensive list of binos I enjoy but to illustrate enjoyment can be found at all price levels. I thoroughly enjoy using the following 8x32s Opticron Traveller ED, Zeiss Conquest HD, Meopta MeoStar, Zeiss SF. But here is the thing: unless I am researching for a review I do not look out for distortions or aberrations or the extent of the sweet spot or lack of contrast or colour balance. Why? Because I am too interested in the subjects I am pointing the binos at and I figure if there is anything really wrong with the bino it will interrupt my viewing and slap me in the face. This just hasn't happened with any of these binos and several others I could add to the list and look at the price differences. For sure there is a gradient of optical performance that mirrors the price gradient but my enjoyment gradient isn't a gradient at all it is a high flat line because (here it comes again) I am usually more interested in the subject I am pointing the binos at than continually searching for signs of something wrong with the binos. The only time this year that an aspect of a bino actually got in the way of enjoying it was when I tried to focus on a subject and I was too close to it having been using a model with a shorter close focus on previous days. What binos did I miss off that list? Well, Opticron Verano and Leica Trinovid HD and Kowa Genesis all spring to mind.
So my recommendation is to concentrate the subject you are looking at and keep that enjoyment gradient high and flat and this can be done with binos at any price level.

Sorry if the above comes across as a bit of a sermon, everyone is entitled to enjoy their binos any way they like.

Lee

BF never disappoints - even an anti-bashing thread cannot resist some obligatory blue-shield bashing
I don't get that.
The 7x42 FL is one of the best 7x I've seen and the 7x42 Dialyt T*P Classic is IMHO the Best.
But...... sales rules. That has nothing to do with bashing, only with reality.
You can play the emotion card whenever you feel like it, it doesn't change reality.

Jan

Ahem, I recently resurrected my interest in birding (low level skill/interest) and decided my Swift Audubons were due for renewing - welcome my Swaro SLC bought 'blind' during lockdown. Ignorance is bliss for me at the moment and I know that from my other hobbies I am probably best retaining some of that ignorance otherwise it'll be getting awfully expensive... And worse still remain dissatisfied searching for that 'grail' which never satisfies for long because there's always something else with a reputation to be acquired

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back