• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Do you have a great "viewing station" at home where you can relax with your bins and watch the wildlife? (1 Viewer)

ZDHart

United States
I'm fortunate that I have a wall of glass all along the "wild side" of my home... with nice recliners, so I can sit for hours, if I wish to, and bird & animal watch with a collection of binoculars by my side, to compare and contrast.

View from my wall of glass - the "back yard"
51242863041_b6be2edee3_h.jpg

I provide ample fresh water, and a few bird feeders, which keeps a steady stream of wildlife on my property, close at hand.

As I have a continual parade of wildlife (variety of birds including hummingbirds, gilded flickers, cardinals, quail, doves, finches, cactus wrens, curved billed thrashers, juncos, towhees, road runners, phainopepla, hawks, gila woodpeckers, turkey vultures, cow bills ("skels"I call them), as well as bobcats, coyotes, deer, javelina, prairie dogs, Horne toads, desert toads, lizards, snakes, and countless rabbits)... just outside my wall of glass, I've become something of a retired, habitual "bird watcher" for much of the day.

I guess it's become a bit of an addiction for me. Add in a number of pair of nice binoculars to observe this with... and I AM, now, officially addicted, I guess.

I spend much of my wildlife watching, hours a day, by switching bins back and forth, comparing and contrasting a number of different pairs of bins. Funny to realize this, but it is so much fun, and entertaining. I do find that I have to keep the number of bins being compared at one time down to three or so, otherwise my side table gets cluttered and the comparisons get a little complicated. I do so enjoy the extended viewing experience and rotating through different binoculars... seeking out the major and especially the very minor differences between them.

My sense is that a number of other retired people here do much the same thing? Retired people with nice wildlife views from home?

Last edited:
That is a beautiful view ZD. I hope you have some stabilized bins in your collection since you have the distance to take advantage of the higher power stabilized view while sitting in your recliner.

My view is of a bay and checking out passing boats, kayakers, and such...

That is a beautiful view ZD. I hope you have some stabilized bins in your collection since you have the distance to take advantage of the higher power stabilized view while sitting in your recliner.

My view is of a bay and checking out passing boats, kayakers, and such...
Hi Dave. Thank you.

My highest power bins are Zeiss Conquest HD 10x42. I'm able to hold them plenty steady, especially while sitting in the recliner. I don't have any stabilized bins, though.

I'm sure that with your views of the bay, that you can sit for hours enjoying that as well - especially with some high powers!

Pretty! AZ is exotic, full of unusual stuff, at least for those of us who don't live there.
Hello Tom... you've nailed my location, alright. NE edge of Scottsdale, bordering Tonto National Forest. Our elevation is about 2700 ft. Mountains all around us.

It's pretty wild out here, peaceful and so quiet. And fortunately, just 15 minutes to get into Scottsdale - over into the big "valley of the sun" for shopping, restaurants and such.

It's surprising how much wildlife there is here - especially considering it's a tough environment for these animals to live in. Water is their biggest challenge, so I do all I can to provide them with fresh water every day. I know that they very much appreciate the water as they're lapping it up all day and night.

ZD Ive a fair amount of time in Tucson and Bisbee. Hiked Chiricahua National Monument and those Hoodoos, (sp?), several times. Exotic is the word that first comes to mind, but beautiful to. Those Bobcat are spectacular!

I'm fortunate that I have a wall of glass all along the "wild side" of my home... with nice recliners, so I can sit for hours, if I wish to, and bird & animal watch with a collection of binoculars by my side, to compare and contrast.

View from my wall of glass - the "back yard"
51242863041_b6be2edee3_h.jpg

I provide ample fresh water, and a few bird feeders, which keeps a steady stream of wildlife on my property, close at hand.

As I have a continual parade of wildlife (variety of birds including hummingbirds, gilded flickers, cardinals, quail, doves, finches, cactus wrens, curved billed thrashers, juncos, towhees, road runners, phainopepla, hawks, gila woodpeckers, turkey vultures, cow bills ("skels"I call them), as well as bobcats, coyotes, deer, javelina, prairie dogs, Horne toads, desert toads, lizards, snakes, and countless rabbits)... just outside my wall of glass, I've become something of a retired, habitual "bird watcher" for much of the day.

I guess it's become a bit of an addiction for me. Add in a number of pair of nice binoculars to observe this with... and I AM, now, officially addicted, I guess.

I spend much of my wildlife watching, hours a day, by switching bins back and forth, comparing and contrasting a number of different pairs of bins. Funny to realize this, but it is so much fun, and entertaining. I do find that I have to keep the number of bins being compared at one time down to three or so, otherwise my side table gets cluttered and the comparisons get a little complicated. I do so enjoy the extended viewing experience and rotating through different binoculars... seeking out the major and especially the very minor differences between them.

My sense is that a number of other retired people here do much the same thing? Retired people with nice wildlife views from home?
How the other half live.
Here in Cornwall bet we get more rain in an afternoon than you in a lifetime!!
Pete.

How the other half live.
Here in Cornwall bet we get more rain in an afternoon than you in a lifetime!!
Pete.
Ah Pete...but England is so lush and beautiful.

And... you have such close access to Tetley British Blend! (My favorite morning tea.)

Last edited:
Ah Pete...but England is so lush and beautiful.

And... you have such close access to Tetley British Blend! (My favorite morning tea.)
As a matter of fact I am enjoying a mug of Tetley tea at this very moment.
And yes, Cornwall is a lovely county to live in and as we live on top of a steep hill the views are pretty good too, when the mist is not down.
Don't suppose you get a lot of that either!!
Pete.

As a matter of fact I am enjoying a mug of Tetley tea at this very moment.
And yes, Cornwall is a lovely county to live in and as we live on top of a steep hill the views are pretty good too, when the mist is not down.
Don't suppose you get a lot of that either!!
Pete.
I have never been to England, but my ancestry leads back to English stock. I would love to visit England some day. And I have a lot of respect for England.

As for tea, my favorite has been a home made blend of 1 part Bigelow Constant Comment (black tea with orange rind and spice), 2 parts Twinings English Breakfast. Then recently, I decided to try a variety of teas from England: Tetley British Blend, Taylor English Breakfast, Taylor Scottish Breakfast, Twinings Irish Breakfast, PG Tips Gold, and Taylor's "Yorkshire" Tea. They're all wonderful teas, but I especially like the Tetley British Blend - very nice. Milk and sugar, of course. Teas are awesome!

Last edited:
ZD Ive a fair amount of time in Tucson and Bisbee. Hiked Chiricahua National Monument and those Hoodoos, (sp?), several times. Exotic is the word that first comes to mind, but beautiful to. Those Bobcat are spectacular!
I love Tucson. And Bisbee is a fun place. Arizona is an amazing state. The impression some have of barren desert is all wrong. This is an incredibly mountainous state and quite diverse, geographically. Up on the Mogollon Rim is the largest pine forest in the USA.

It's so kind of you to do this for animals. It must be satisfying providing them with a mini oasis, and I'm sure the wildlife appreciate the refuge, even if they don't know of your involvement.
There are so many birds, rabbits, coyotes, bobcats that are very, very appreciative of the fresh water served here, daily. It makes me feel good too, and I love watching them enjoy it all. Surprisingly satisfying in one's retirement years. :)

Mister Wily Coyote...
51242149927_57ac7a0dc2_h.jpg

It's so kind of you to do this for animals. It must be satisfying providing them with a mini oasis, and I'm sure the wildlife appreciate the refuge, even if they don't know of your involvement.
Along with Jack the rabbit do I see Mourning doves and California Quail or is it a Gambel's Quail?
Pete.

Along with Jack the rabbit do I see Mourning doves and California Quail or is it a Gambel's Quail?
Pete.
We have three kinds of doves on the property: Mourning, Ring Neck, and White wing. Many Mourning. Some White Wing. Only a few Ring Neck.

Gambel's Quail. We have perhaps seven or eight families of them living on the property - parading their little families back and forth for the water and the Quail block for food.

50521934977_63b66f26ed_h.jpg

50318563712_fc10d0e4f8_h.jpg

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back