• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Do You Recommend This? (1 Viewer)

Sean,

Yes, it would be a good setup, especially if you're just getting into digiscoping. Check out Steven Ingraham's site for more information and photos: http://zbirding.info/

Check out my digiscoping blog for examples of images taken using the Zeiss scope with a Nikon Coolpix P5000/P5100 and homemade adaptor. This would be a more economical route and also provides a quick way to attach the camera to scope w/o the more expensive adaptors.

http://jerryjourdan2.blogspot.com

Either way, good luck w/ the sport. It can be maddening, but the first 'keeper' image will hook you.

Good shooting,

Scope

Hi, Thanks for your reply & the links. I have just got my 1st scope. Its the Opticron ES80 GA waterproof, Its the ED version as well which is a bonus, It comes with a Nikon coolpix 4500 & eagle eye adapter. I just need a tripod & good head, which Ive been looking at the Manfrotto 055NAT with a Manfrotto 128RC head & possibly to take the centre column out & use with the Manfrotto clamp, I cant remember the name now, Manfrotto 489 i think. Anyway I cant wait to try It out, I have the 25x eyepiece with It, but have seen a lot of people with the 20-60x zoom. Are these better than fixed eyepieces.

Regards.
Sean..

Hi Sean,

As we have already said on your other thread (Manfrotto 055 + Manfrotto 349 clamp), this tripod & head is very good for digiscoping having used it ourselves. However we believe that using a clamp wiil not be steady enough for you and also awkward for operating the camera.

Regarding the zoom eyepiece - to digiscope you need a lot of light coming into the scope and there will by no means be enough at 6ox magnification. When we set up we were advised against this. To take photos with the 25x eyepiece you have to be rock steady so at 60x you are magnifying everything a lot more - including any movement, even a slight breeze! You will then have a number of blurred photos, also the Vignetting will have to be taken account of more.

Opticron now do a 15x eyepiece which will let more light in for digiscoping but it is not much good for bird spotting, whereas the 60x would be great for spotting but not digi.... and the 25x you get good results for both spotting & digis..... We know one or two people who have changed to a fixed zoom because it is better. Also we think you will have to get a different insert for the adaptor as the eyepiece is probably thinner on the zoom.

Digis.... is a long learning curve & can be frustrating to start with but well rewarded when you have mastered it.

Regards,

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back