• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Do you think an excellent 8x42 can be better than an alpha 8x32 optically? (1 Viewer)

Prism, your observation is one that I would expect - comparing a true alpha with 42mm objectives vs. a near alpha with 32mm objective, both of the same magnification. If the true alpha, with larger objectives, didn't present a brighter, somewhat sharper image I would be surprised.

Congratulations, by the way, on your 10x42 SF! I have a pair myself and they are fabulous binoculars!

Drew... as for comparing Conquest HD to Nikon MHG, my hunch (and it's only a guess, really) is that the glass/coatings in the Conquest HD may well be a bit higher quality than that in the MHG?

The takeaway here is that a true top-tier alpha from a holy trinity brand (Zeiss, Swarovski, Leica) can punch above it's size/ weight class in addition to squeezing out every last drop of performance in it's category. This ability to outclass a larger but inferior optic is one of the biggest benefits you get for the added expense of an alpha, as it means that oftentimes many of us can get away using a much smaller, more portable binocular.
Thank you for sharing your observations! Very insightful. I wish I had a way to photograph the image through both binos with identical exposure settings at twilight. Your post makes me want to acquire an 8x25 Victory.... and a 8x42 SF.... haha!

Prism, your observation is one that I would expect - comparing a true alpha with 42mm objectives vs. a near alpha with 32mm objective, both of the same magnification. If the true alpha, with larger objectives, didn't present a brighter, somewhat sharper image I would be surprised.

Congratulations, by the way, on your 10x42 SF! I have a pair myself and they are fabulous binoculars!

Drew... as for comparing Conquest HD to Nikon MHG, my hunch (and it's only a guess, really) is that the glass/coatings in the Conquest HD may well be a bit higher quality than that in the MHG?
I was wondering about superiority of glass/coatings between the two as well. I didn't have both optics stacked and rested on a tripod for shake free back to back viewing so the back and forth hand holding is probably not an ideal comparison either. Sorry.

It has been fascinating comparing them.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back