• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Do your eyes change, day to day? (1 Viewer)

LOL! And if you´re not, keep posting....soon you will be One of Us:eek!:

Indeed. I'm now neurotically obsessed with binoculars, scopes (getting into cameras) and now the weirdness of my own eyeballs.

I'm gonna start a self-help group- Neurotics Anonymous (or Unaninmous perhaps) with a special sub-group for optics/vision.

Care to join anyone? :-O

We may cure ourselves of optics obsession and save a fortune in the process.

Rohn & Vop - You have helped make my day! Some person said, "We are all a little bit neurotic. It is just that some of us control our behavors better than others." Also applies to insanity.
John

I was out yesterday with my new to me Zeiss 7x42 Classics and was looking at an eagle on the other side of a wide river who was rummaging about on a gravel bar. Focusing, I noted that things were rather blurry. I looked at the diopter setting and saw that they were in their usual place. Cranking on some positive turn, things sharpened up.

This is a phenomenon I have noticed before both with these bins and others. Makes me wonder if my eyes do weird things from time to time.

Anybody else experienced this? Any reason to postulate? Do I need to visit the optometrist?

Thanks.

longsighted,

Forget what the commercials say, you're not getting better, you're just getting older!

Welcome to the Focus Accommodation Retrogression Team (F.A.R.T.). I've been a member for about 5 years ever since I started needing reading glasses.

Some days, particularly after I've spent long hours at the computer, or if I'm extra tired, I find myself fiddling with the right diopter so much and focusing past the bird and then toggling back to achieve fine focus, that I just throw in the cleaning cloth. Wait for another day when my eyes are cooperating better.

I also have dry eyes and sometimes they get irritated if I forget to put some drops of artificial tears in at night especially during the winter when the air is dry from the heat. The next day, I can't focus, because my left eye is blurry.

If you've just knocked off work, and you've been working at a computer, give your eyes some time to adjust by sitting outside with your eyes defocused, that is, not focused on anything in particular, just staring out blankly like a catatonic.

Put some drops in your eyes if they are dry, and then start birding. You'll soon know if you're having a good day or a bad day.

Your "symptoms" sound typical, but it's always a good thing to see the eye doctor when you experience a change in vision just to make sure nothing more serious is going on.

If you check out okay, I will PM you a membership application for the Focus Accommodation Retrogression Team (F.A.R.T.) and information about dues and benefits (such as 10% off on reading glasses from Pearl Vision).

If you think you have F.A.R.T. troubles with a 7x42 B/GA, which are pretty easy on the eyes from all accounts, try a Nikon 8x32 LX, with its fast 1 turn from close focus to infinity focuser. It was the F.A.R.T.iest pair of binoculars I've ever used.

Fortunately, my second sample had a cherry focuser, which lessened the frustration. My first sample 8x32 LX's focuser was looser and had some play in it and drove me nuts, trying to focus. I had to set and reset the diopter when going from close to medium to distance. It was almost like having an IF EP bin.

My advice is if you have F.A.R.T. problems avoid:

1. fast focusers
2. shallow DOF
3. lots of field curvature
4. uncooked broccoli

I reset diopter daily on the 7x26 Elite, sometimes on the 15x50IS, once in a while on the
7x42FL and 20x80 Garrett, and almost never on the SE's or the 10x56FL. I don't get it.

I reset diopter daily on the 7x26 Elite, sometimes on the 15x50IS, once in a while on the
7x42FL and 20x80 Garrett, and almost never on the SE's or the 10x56FL. I don't get it.

Whatever about my eyes changing day-to-day, my real problem is that my mind changes day-to-day. One day, I think I have too many binoculars...then some wise-guy goes and mentions 15x50IS....;)

Firstly, I never eat uncooked broccoli because I'm too orally enfeebled to chew it.

Secondly, I will only join if there is a sub-group for OLD f.a.r.t.s.;)

Erratum to my above post: If you think you have F.A.R.T. troubles with a 7x42 B/GA, which are pretty easy on the eyes from all accounts, try a Nikon 8x32 LX, with its fast 1/2 turn from close focus to infinity focuser. It was the F.A.R.T.iest pair of binoculars I've ever used.

1 turn I could deal with.

Yes, you can join, we have two subgroups in F.A.R.T. - Old and SBD (Sneaky But Deadly :).

Brock,......um.....never mind. 3 yrs ago I officially joined the ol' fardts league (got the hat & everything) and always ask if I can get in for half price.....sometimes it works. Bein' a "scene yor" citizen ain't all that bad (don't hafta work anymore), 'cept for this eye business (and the occasional, but usually unintentional, silent samson).

Now for me, it's steamed brockley w/melted cheese. Chilled ranch (preferably Ken's Steak House brand....best I've ever tried) with cold baby carrots....yummy

Have been adjusting my dioptre again today. Maybe need to visit the opticians again. Don't want to as I am too vain I think.

After a good nights sleep or so everything is as it should again.

I think that is what I need to cure my tired 40 year old eyes!!!!

I'm 48 moderately myopic and presbyopic too (so my accommodation has dropped off).

One other effect I note that hasn't been mentioned here is when I first get up in the morning especially for birding so it's straight up and out without a shower/breakfast (I can do that later) and head out to my local patch before sunrise.

A few times I've noticed as I was on the 15 minute walk there that my eyes aren't quite right. With or without bins. Picking out birds. But as time goes on they do get better (not just that I'm getting used to it but the focus improves). And by the time I'm at the park (about a mile or so away) I seem about normal.

I suspect this is due to either a small change in shape of the eye or the lens during sleep (more likely the latter) probably combined with a large entrance pupil in the eye (making astigmatism worse).

When I'm in the park the teary eyes often take over and with high humidity over dewey or rain soaked grass and eyeglass fogging can be an issue.

After a good nights sleep or so everything is as it should again

The way my 59 yr old eyes go in and out of focus somedays ( and that is without being in a chemically induced state of altered conciousness B :) !) I'd need to change my name to Rip van bl**dy Winkle. It is, I'm afraid, one of those things that comes with advancing years, like getting halfway up stairs and forgetting what you were going for, coming back down, and then having to dash back up to the toilet. :t:
Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back