• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Double Crested Cormorant? (1 Viewer)

Riot Media

I wonder if anyone is able to confirm whether or not the bird I saw yesterday in the Thames Estuary at Allhallows, is a Double Crested Cormorant, as I gather they are an unusual sighting in the UK.

Attachments

• a12696 Peninsular Morning 12-12-13.jpg
    a12696 Peninsular Morning 12-12-13.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 174
  • a12698 Peninsular Morning 12-12-13.JPG
    a12698 Peninsular Morning 12-12-13.JPG
    243.2 KB · Views: 147
That's a regular Cormorant - specifically looks like the European sinensis race (which is common in the south-east), based on the shape of the bare skin below the bill.

What made you think it was possibly a Double-crested? They are way rarer than 'unusual' - there has only ever been one in the UK (a wintering bird in Cleveland), since records began!

Not wishing to offend anyone but it amazes me that people jump to the rarest of the rarest instead of looking to the obvious and most likely.Yes we would all like to see the rarest and maybe we will but lets start at the obvious first and eliminate them and then move on....Eddy

In answer to your question Eddy, I'm a photographer who simply took a series of photos of a bird I considered to be doing something interesting. A friend of mine, who has an interest in ornithology, saw the photos, wondered if it might be a storm driven double crested cormorant, due to the facial markings, however, I can now see the difference.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back