• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

    You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Downloading from a 30D (1 Viewer)

Wildman

Well-known member
Hi All
When downloading pictures from my canon 30D into the canon zoombrowser picture software it all so puts them into my nikon foto station picture software at the same time.
I dont know why this is happening.
I have a dell laptop( inspiron 1000 ) and it has windows xp in it.
Any advice would be a help, but i am not a wiz kid with the pc.
Cheers.
 

g8ina

He's pining for the Fjords !
Fairly simple answer - dont use Canons software.

Just open Windows Explorer, plug the camera in, find it in Exporer, then cut and paste the pix wherever you like.

Hope that was easy enough, if not LMK and I'll add some screencaps for you :)

good luck
 

Tannin

Common; sedentary.
Best thing you can do is get rid of all that crappy free-with-the-camera software - yes, all of it, caise none of it is much good - and use Downloader Pro. Once you take that step, you will never go back.
 

bpw

Well-known member
I’m not sure if I understand your situation fully, but is it possible that connecting your camera card causes the Nikon software to open and download the pictures automatically?

It’s possible to check if you have AutoPlay set up on your camera card by right-clicking it in Windows explorer, selecting properties, and selecting the AutoPlay tab. Select Pictures from the dropdown box (if not already selected) and see if your Nikon software is identified in the ‘Select an action to perform’ category. If so change it to your alternative program or choose the ‘Prompt me...’ option.

My apologies if I’ve missed the point here!
 

gmax

Sontium Dweller
bpw said:
I’m not sure if I understand your situation fully, but is it possible that connecting your camera card causes the Nikon software to open and download the pictures automatically?

It’s possible to check if you have AutoPlay set up on your camera card by right-clicking it in Windows explorer, selecting properties, and selecting the AutoPlay tab. Select Pictures from the dropdown box (if not already selected) and see if your Nikon software is identified in the ‘Select an action to perform’ category. If so change it to your alternative program or choose the ‘Prompt me...’ option.

My apologies if I’ve missed the point here!

I agree, perhaps there's a tick on the box saying "always perform this action" whenever you're plugging in a flash card ... if removing the tick or similar doesn't work, just remove the Nikon program if you are not going to use it that much ... I find the Canon download/browse program works well, but Windows XP has built-in functionalities doing the same thing
 

Michael McKee

Well-known member
Wildman said:
Hi All
When downloading pictures from my canon 30D into the canon zoombrowser picture software it all so puts them into my nikon foto station picture software at the same time.
I dont know why this is happening.
I have a dell laptop( inspiron 1000 ) and it has windows xp in it.
Any advice would be a help, but i am not a wiz kid with the pc.
Cheers.

I have both these software packages on my pc and don't have any conflict problems. Fotostation is just a photo browser so when opened it will display photos from a user defined folder e.g My Pictures.

Zoombrowser imports photo files to a user defined folder (I'm not sure what the default is) so if photos were imported into say My Pictures then they would also be visible in Fotostation in the same way that they will be visible in Windows Explorer.

From your statement you seem to imply that the files are being duplicated but I don't think this is actually happening. Correct me if I'm wrong.

With regard to the funtionality of Zoombrowser I quite like it and use it all the time to download photos. It will automatically create dated folders and place files in the appropriate folder based on shooting date. It will also only download photos that it hasn't previously downloaded which is useful when reusing a partially used card.
 

Wildman

Well-known member
Hi Michael
Yes it goes into my pictures,zoombrowser and fotostation.
Why this is i dont know,and i have tryed to sort it out but with no success yet.
Later on when i get some time i well uninstall the software and put potoshop on to my laptop.
This will be better for my photos,and sort out my laptop.
Cheers.
 

Michael McKee

Well-known member
Wildman said:
Hi Michael
Yes it goes into my pictures,zoombrowser and fotostation.
Why this is i dont know,and i have tryed to sort it out but with no success yet.
Later on when i get some time i well uninstall the software and put potoshop on to my laptop.
This will be better for my photos,and sort out my laptop.
Cheers.

I don't think you have a problem. Zoombrowser and Fotostation are both simply displaying the contents of your My Pictures folder as they should be. These programs don't actually contain copies of the images.
 

delia todd

If I said the wrong thing it was a Senior Moment
Staff member
Supporter
Scotland
Michael's right Wildman

I have Photostation Easy and it is just another way of looking at the pictures on your pc, it is not making copies of them.

D
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top