• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dragonflies - Ethiopia Feb 2019 (1 Viewer)

Muppit17

I have seen a number of Dragonflies in Ethiopia over the last few weeks and would welcome comments and IDs.

First are a few from Awash NP

Attachments

• DSCN0297 v1.jpg
    DSCN0297 v1.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 31
  • DSCN0340v1.jpg
    DSCN0340v1.jpg
    199 KB · Views: 38
  • DSCN0328 v1.jpg
    DSCN0328 v1.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 26
  • DSCN0342 v1.jpg
    DSCN0342 v1.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 25
1. I will have to look up - I think Paragomphus sp but not sure what occurs in ethopia
2. Orange-winged Dropwing (Trithemis kirbyi) male
3. Epaulet Skimmer (Orthetrum chrysostigma) female I think
4. Violet Dropwing (Trithemis annulata) male

t
What resources do you have Paul?

The usual european books - Dikstra & Lewington, Galliani et al, Askew, the European Atlas - and The Dragonflies and Damselflies of East Africa by Dijkstra and Clausnitzer.

I've yet to go through all the Orthetrums - I know there is one that looks like Epaulet Skimmer.

Having checked the Skimmers in "The Dragonflies and Damselflies of East Africa" I am sure that pic 3 is a female Epaulet Skimmer.

t

The usual european books - Dikstra & Lewington, Galliani et al, Askew, the European Atlas - and The Dragonflies and Damselflies of East Africa by Dijkstra and Clausnitzer.

I've yet to go through all the Orthetrums - I know there is one that looks like Epaulet Skimmer.

Thanks Paul.

I think you will need to put the first photo elsewhere for ID. It is a Paragomphus species - the thorax pattern doesn't look right for P.genei to me but I've only seen a handful. Dijkstra lists P.genei, P.alluaudi and P.crenigomphoides for Ethiopia. Perhaps the facebook group Dragonflies and Damselflies - Worldwide Odonata would be a place to go.

If you don't have access to that facebook group I could post the photo of the paragomphus there for ID - it could be a new species for Ethiopia!

If you don't have access to that facebook group I could post the photo of the paragomphus there for ID - it could be a new species for Ethiopia!

Thanks Paul, most useful

In respect of the Paragomphus, I think this photo shows a female of the same species.

Attachments

• DSCN0366.JPG
    DSCN0366.JPG
    334.5 KB · Views: 14

Paul

I tried to join but the site appears not to be allowing me at the moment.

Please feel free to add - location should be given as Awash Falls Lodge, Ethiopia (8.8423323,40.012427)

Best Regards

Thanks Paul - been out of the country and only just returned.

Interesting ID - seems it is not mentioned for Ethiopia - unless I am missing something.

"Hi Paul,

This looks like P. elpidius. I believe I've seen photos of it from Awash before.

Cheers, KD"

I guess that sightings came to light after publication of the East Africa book in 2014.

Paul

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back