• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dragonfly IDs - Denmark (1 Viewer)

David_

Germany
Hi everyone,

I took this pictures on a cycling trip along the Danish west coast and need help figuring out the IDs. Image quality is not the best as I only had my smartphone's camera.

- taken on August 30th between Tversted and Hirthals. No idea which species. Thought it was a Darter but it looks so bright green I am not even sure about that
IMG_4390.jpegIMG_4391.jpegIMG_4392.jpeg

- taken September 2nd at Nors Sø. Can't find a darter species that match the brownish wings. I think I have a couple other photos of a presumed darter with brownish wings from another location but couldn't find them right now
IMG_4468.jpegIMG_4469.jpegIMG_4470.jpeg

- taken September 2nd at Nors Sø. Is this a Moustached Darter?
moustached_4448.jpegmoustached_4449.jpeg

- taken September 2nd at Nors Sø. Very brown looking darter no idea which species
IMG_4482.jpegIMG_4484.jpegIMG_4480.jpeg

Thanks for your help.

2nd one (pics 4-6) is a male Common Darter

1st one (pics 1-3) is a female darter (Sympetrum) - can't see the vulval scale or the frons clearly

3rd one (pics 7-8) is a female darter - can't see the vulval scale but the black appears to go down the side of the frons so probably S.vulgatum (Moustached Darter)

4th one (pics 9-11) is a female darter. I've taken the details out of the shadows and it appears not to have black down the side of the frons and the vulval scale is not obvious so probably S.striolatum Common Darter

Attachments

• IMG_4482.jpeg
    IMG_4482.jpeg
    788.9 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_4480.jpeg
    IMG_4480.jpeg
    454.3 KB · Views: 5
Thanks for the IDs.

Is the light brown colour of the wings normal (as I said there was at least one other specimen with brown wings at another location)? As far as I remember Dijkstra doesn‘t mention this. I thought about Common Darter but because wing colour I ruled it out.

Thanks for the IDs.

Is the light brown colour of the wings normal (as I said there was at least one other specimen with brown wings at another location)? As far as I remember Dijkstra doesn‘t mention this. I thought about Common Darter but because wing colour I ruled it out.
If a feature(such as wing colour) isn't mentioned in Dijkstra it's probably because it plays no part in the ID. Dragonfly wings often go browner and more opaque as the insects age.
7DA_6115.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back