• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Drop in Filters (1 Viewer)

redtail7

Hi Guys
Just purchased a 300mm f2.8 lens and was wondering what drop in filters anyone is using for bird shots. It comes with a NC 52mm filter, is this good enough or should I be looking for a different filter. Thanks for any help. Regards Tony

gvca1

Hi Guys
Just purchased a 300mm f2.8 lens and was wondering what drop in filters anyone is using for bird shots. It comes with a NC 52mm filter, is this good enough or should I be looking for a different filter. Thanks for any help. Regards Tony

The only filter I'd consider (really the only one offered?) is the circular polarizer. The CP will help at the seashore, or for darkening back-lit blue skies.

I think the only purpose the included NC filter serves is to keep the optical formula all correct, so that when you DO put in the CP, it doesn't change the optics.

Have fun with that lens, and show us some photos!

Jim

seaspirit

Same here.
The Sigma 300 2.8 I am using has a clear drop in filter, and according to the lens manual it should be in the light path unless it is replaced with another type of filter. The Sigmas come with a polarizer, and I can't imagine what other kind of filter could make sense.
Maybe a ND filter if there is to much light ..... not a common problem when shooting with the big lenses.....

Ulli

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread