• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dryobates pubescens gairdnerii (Audubon, 1839) (1 Viewer)

Taphrospilus

Dryobates pubescens gairdnerii (Audubon, 1839) OD here

The Eponym Dictionary of Birds claims:
Gairdner's Woodpecker Picoides pubescens gairdnerii Audubon, 1839 [Alt. Downy Woodpecker ssp.]
Dr Meredith Gairdner (d.1837) was a naturalist from Edinburgh, Scotland. He left for Canada (1832) employed by the Hudson's Bay Company, and was stationed on the Columbia River (c.2 years). There he studied natural history, collecting materials to prepare a monograph of the vast riparian area. He also witnessed an eruption of Mount St Helens. Unfortunately he contracted tuberculosis when he was sent to treat an outbreak. The disease left him weak and he left for Hawaii, hoping the climate would help, but it proved fatal. He left bequests to help poor Hawaiian children. He wrote Observations During a Voyage from England to Fort Vancouver, on the North-west Coast of America (1834). Audubon (q.v.) wrote '... a specimen of a of a Woodpecker sent from the rom the Columbia river by Dr Meredith Gairdner to Professor Jameson of Edinburgh, , who kindly lentitto me for the purpose of being described... I hope to be able to give a figure of this species at the end of the present work.' A fish was named after him.

The Key to Scientific Names
Dr Meredith Gairdner (d. 1837) Scottish surgeon in the employ of the Hudsons Bay Company, explorer, collector (subsp. Dryobates pubescens).

Maybe...
A. G. Harvey, “Meredith Gairdner: Doctor of Medicine,” British Columbia Historical Quarterly 9 (April 1945): 91–92.

...has information about his birth in Scotland? Publication not seen by me.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back