• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dslr bird video thread (1 Viewer)

Hi Rob

I think this sound could be generated by the 7d. Do your recording have any kind of background hiss, i can remove the hiss from mine in software but would rather not have to. If you use a cable were is your mic mounted?

Thanks

No Hiss from my 7d with either the internal mic or external one.
i have a 3m cable and just mount it on a old tripod leg, often i just lay it on the ground well in front of me , if your near water this adds to the sound .
Rob.

I was with a chap in a hide yesterday and he was taking a video with his 7D.

He was viewing the action through what I think he said was a "loupe" which was attached to the back of the lcd screen.He allowed me a go and I was impressed.

Anyone got any info on these.

max.

I was with a chap in a hide yesterday and he was taking a video with his 7D.

He was viewing the action through what I think he said was a "loupe" which was attached to the back of the lcd screen.He allowed me a go and I was impressed.

Anyone got any info on these.

max.

if you put this into google it will bring info up .
Rob.
GGS 3X LCD Viewfinder Loupe for Canon EOS 7D 5D Mark II

Just add to this i have done some test and the noise is related to the Rode mic. It doesn't matter how far away I move it from the 7d it is still present, just a dull background hiss that you don't get from the internal mic. I guess it is something normal that you guys are all used to and that i will have to get used to. It is easily removed in software, but i was hoping that the purchase of an external mic would cut out wind noise and avoid me having to do anything.

I have recently added another video to my page featuring a local Little Owl. All video taken on the 7d sound via the rode mic with the hiss filtered out.
http://www.digitalwildlife.co.uk/videos

Cheers

Rich

Richard

Yes there is a hiss when you attach an external mic to a 7d. Its due to the auto gain of the 7d and there is no way around in in-camera. Theres two options. 1 is to get an external recorder ( i got a zoom h1 ) then you can control the levels going into the recorder. 2 is to remove the hiss in PP (like you mentioned).

It was the same story on the 5dmk2 but a third party group released their own firmware called "magic lantern" which allowed for the gain to be controlled in camera. As far as I know there are no plans to release one of these for the 7d.
My guess is the 8d is going to have gain levels in-camera.

Max

I got the Meike viewfinder for about £50 quid instead of the expensive other ones. It was originally a rip off of the lcdvf viewfinder but they did a v2 which is the one i have and I love it. It doesnt have diopter adjustment which worried me as I wear glasses but I neednt have worried as it works perfectly.

Cheers.

Not a bird I know and some wierd knocking noises in the background when I videoed using my 100mm macro lens but here's a little video I put together of some Dragonflies we found over here over the summer.
The Emperors is the first proven breeding of them over here which we were very pleased to have found.

oh yeah rubbish intro music made on Garageband for ipad :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ptq2xtNN02g

I quite fancy having a go at some video and was wondering if someone could recommend me some cheap software for editting?

I was just looking at that one... have you used it, if so is it straight forward? I understand stills but video is a whole new world to me.

Actually I haven't. I use imovie, the free software that comes with any mac. The Windows equivalent would be Windows Movie Maker, I have no idea how good/bad that is. The imovie software is sufficient for most basic editing, I assume Movie Maker is too.

If you open zoom browser and find the file you want to edit,click on file and in drop down box click on edit movie,you can do some basic editing in here,at the end you can save movie and it gives you a numbet of options.i tend to save as anAVI file and you can also choose HD etc,save file and you can then edit file in Windows Movie maker,which cant edit the files straight from camera hence the need to convert first

I use Windows Live Movie Maker to edit 7D video and produce clips for uploading to You Tube on my Windows 7 computer without any problem. You will need plenty of RAM and a powerful processor though, otherwise your computer will struggle.

Mike

thanks for the advice folks - I finally worked out how to convert the video using zoombrowser (needed to update to a newer version) and have sorted my first bit of bird video. Unfortunately I couldn't work out how to remove the sound (no doubt it's simple) so if you click on the link then it's best watched muted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hj95mBkzMlI

I also uploaded it to BFTV but it seems to have reduced the quality a fair bit... no doubt I've done someting wrong!

http://www.birdforum.tv/members/action/viewvideo/3076/woodchat_shrike___Ipswich_14_10_11/

Putting a video on here, youtube, vimeo or Flickr requires a great deal of compression with the resulting loss in quality cannot be helped. Otherwise quite good but you notice when going to full screen the loss in the video. I amsure if you played the original video through a monitor with 1920x1080 the detail is staggering and you may have done this already to appreciate HD.

very good effort Pete.

Putting a video on here, youtube, vimeo or Flickr requires a great deal of compression with the resulting loss in quality cannot be helped. Otherwise quite good but you notice when going to full screen the loss in the video. I amsure if you played the original video through a monitor with 1920x1080 the detail is staggering and you may have done this already to appreciate HD.

very good effort Pete.

I think you'll find that Pete is referring to the great difference in quality between the video he has on Youtube and the one on BFTV.

Quite baffling indeed Pete. You'd need to ask the relevant parties on what might be wrong there I think.

Apologies for some unsteady hand-holding work. But a galah feeding it's young one december last year. If you turn up the volume, you can hear the chicks scratchy calling to be fed and then rapid chip,chip,chip as it's eating. A very common sound throughout the australian summer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjvRZ1vY5Wg

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back