• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Duck from Lancashire, UK (1 Viewer)

Himalaya

I remember taking this photo because the duck on the right appeared slightly bigger than the Eurasian Teals nearby. It was taken in mid-August. It is the only photo I have. My opinion based on what I can see of the spectrum patch and the lighter underbelly corresponds with Garganey. What do others say?

Attachments

• DSCN7130.JPG
    DSCN7130.JPG
    6.4 MB · Views: 101
Hello,
the right bird is a Eurasian Teal imo. please note
  • white stripe in the under-tail in a perfect position and shape for a Teal: centered below the base of the teal and broad=the slightest kind of wedge-shaped
  • it could well be that fine hues/pattern on the breast can be burned out by overexposure
  • yes, its a hard a hard picture for me too, but I cant find anything against a Teal here (yes not a feature here).
  • the Teal on the left is further away than the right Teal (but yes size illusion, males are on average larger, ....)

We're absolutely sure it's not an eclipse gadwall..? The grey and white patch and apparent size suggests that to me

Hello,
I must admit that Gadwall was my first impression too, but a closer look revealed:
  • muddy-greenish tinged yellow legs (not pure, bright chrome- or orange-yellow)
  • the white Teal-patch under the tail
  • the white patch in the wing is on the right area for a Teal and thus on the wrong place for a Gadwall
Yes, I agree with The Fern, that picture quality and variation in Gadwall and Teal must be considered, but another explenation is, that the mentioned features are real and therefore this is a quite regular Teal in an ID-unfriendly position.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back