• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Duck ID / Iran (1 Viewer)

Shahrzad

Iran
Would appreciate any help in IDing these ducks.

seen: 15 Feb. 2021 / 35.462806, 51.518322 - Near to Tehran

Attachments

• IMG_0490.jpg
    IMG_0490.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 90
  • IMG_0629.jpg
    IMG_0629.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 89
I'd hazard a guess at Common pochard on the first image due to the shape, not much else to go on. Agree with Teal for the second.

Not a confident identification, but:

Its clear that first bird is one for quiz modus (arent we just fooled by this before? At least I was). Picture quality with strong haze conditions produce this, I think.

First impression was: its a Velvet Scooter (or a Common pochard?), and then I looked for reasons:

-on first sight, I thought that the bill just seems to bend up slightly near the tip, resulting in a Velvet Scooter-jizz (I hope its understandable). But this may be an illusion, created by pixelated picture.
- I thought, the rear end is somewhat drawn-out and the tail looked to long for a Common Pochard, so better for a Velvet Scooter with a concav head-bill profile. But this cant be judged with confidence here.
-a Velvet Scooter has a thicker neck than a Common pochard, that broadens towards the breast. This can be obvious when neck is stretched.

These three points can result in an jizz-friendly body-shape that makes a Velvet Scooter stand out in a mixed flock of diving ducks (and yes, most a larger than Tufted Ducks or Common Pochards). And I thought, these three points are visible here (neck-shape seems not so good for a Velvet Scooter, not thick enough but I am unsure: is the right neck-shape there or not?)

Conclusion? Maybe its better to leave it unidentified, (or better: I learn from others here!), but I wouldnt dismiss the possibility that this is a Velvet Scooter.
Scaup or Tufted Duck can be ruled out with confidence here, but the other mentioned Ducks are a possibility, when taken picture quality into account, but the feeling, that it might be a Velvet Scooter hasnt gone. Or is it a Common Pochard? I cant decide!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back