• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Duck ID NW England (1 Viewer)

Neil UK

Taken at Stanley Park Lake, Blackpool on 06/02/2011.

On another post and another site its been suggested this could be a Red Crested Pochard cross Pintail... anyone else have a suggestion?

Few notable sightings, larger than female Tufties as plenty on the lake, plus larger if only slightly than a female Mallard.

Attachments

• duckid.jpg
    duckid.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 152
  • duckid2.jpg
    duckid2.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 231
I suspect a pintail x wigeon. The bill looks right for pintail. Cover up the head and the body looks very wigeon like to me.

Last edited:
Hmm. RCP x Pintail looks like a possibility, but the odd thing if it is that combination is that the bill pattern is that of a male Pintail, whereas the head pattern is that of a female RCP - so the gender of the hybrid is uncertain (then again, as intergeneric hybrids are usually infertile, that might have some effect on sexually dimorphic plumages?).

The other possibility that immediately leapt to mind with the blue bill + head pattern was Puna/Hottentot Teal x something - the "something" would have to be big though, if the hybrid's Mallard-sized or bigger, and rather uniformly coloured (I have seen large "manky"/domestic Mallards with rather uniform, darkish brown colouring very close to this bird). Not sure if a Puna x oversized manky Mallard is a more or less likely cross than Pintail x RCP...

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back