• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Duck id please (1 Viewer)

gowildwithdebs

United Kingdom
Hello - hope you can help.

I spotted these three swimming around together, definitely as a group of three in amongst the mallards and Canada geese at Dovestones Reservoir, Greater Manchester area, UK.

I've ID'd the first bird as a Crested blue Swedish duck; the middle bird is a cross between a duck and a goose? (I am very new to birding, so forgive me if that one is obvious). The duck at the back has a reddish brown head and a green bill.

Any ideas please?!20220401154356_IMG_0125.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, no geese involved, all these are domestic Mallards (probably impossible to ID to any "pure" breed once off the farm).

If goose x duck hybrids are possible at all, they must be very rarely viable considering how easily waterfowl hybridise in general and how many farms with both ducks and geese there must be, but I've never even seen a photo of one! (and for comparison, I've seen photos of at least 3 different individual goose x swan hybrids...)

(I have seen photos of Egyptian Goose x Mallard hybrids, but that doesn't really count, as despite its name Egyptian Goose is actually in the shelduck subfamily, so it's more of a duck than a goose really...)

Thankyou. I was curious to know why these three had chummed up. Makes sense, I suppose, that they recognise that they are each not quite "right'.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back