• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ducks - Loch Fleet (1 Viewer)

GeorgeMac

Sutherland
A few of these birds on Loch Fleet just now. Thought they were eider ducks, then thought they were mallard, but after looking at the photos I'm really not sure what they are. No males around, just females with ducklings.

ducks.jpg

The eiders have fairly established themselves around here. There were none 40 years ago now they're everywhere. Good to see them doing so well :)

I ticked King Eider in an Eider flock at Loch Fleet in January 1986 and it was a returning bird then (35 years ago), were there really none forty years ago?

John

There were none on Brora beach, had no idea they were in Loch Fleet back then. They are established right along the coast to Helmsdale now, and they are nesting on shingle and coastal grass right along the coast. They are doing very well. There were no herons around here back then either, aside from the occassional ringed visitor, and they are everywhere too. Lots of birds coming back in big numbers, like lapwings and skylarks, birds that all but disappeared from Brora back in the late 70s and 80s.

I've never seen a King Eider. That must have been a good day out.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back