• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ducula zoeae (Desmarest, 1826) (1 Viewer)

Taphrospilus

Ducula zoeae (Desmarest, 1826) OD t. 40 (1826) - Dictionnaire des sciences naturelles - Biodiversity Heritage Library
Cette belle espèces, que M. Lesson consacre à la mémoire d'une épouse chérie, a été découverte par lui aux environs du village de Dorery à la Nouvelle-Guinée.

The Eponym Dictionary of Birds
Zoë's Imperial Pigeon Ducula zoeae Lesson, 1826 [Alt. Banded Imperial Pigeon]
Zoë Lesson (DNF) was the first wife of the describer René Lesson (q.v.).

The Key to Scientific Names
Jeanne-Zoé Lesson née Massiou (1799-1819) first wife of French ornithologist René Lesson (Normand David in litt.) (Ducula).

If I read Arbre généalogique gratuit et en ligne - Geneatique.net pour rechercher vos ancêtres I can go with the dates.

Death record here p.227/276 (24. November 1819)

Did not check for birth record yet.

Nevertheless a couple of questions came up when I looked at the plate t.1-2 (1826-1830) [Zoologie Atlas pt.1] - Voyage autour du monde - Biodiversity Heritage Library and the corresponding text t.1:pt.2 (1826) [Zoologie Text] - Voyage autour du monde - Biodiversity Heritage Library
Cette colombe est cousacrée à la mémoire d'une épouse expirée à l'aurore de la vie.

1) Was the correct author ever analysed? Desmarest or Lesson? Or what was published first?
2) Zoé or Zoë?
3) About the artist. Here Dictionnaire des Artistes de l'ecole francaise au 19e siecle. Peinture sculpture ... et composition musicale and many other places it is written that he was born 1779 and he died vers 1850 or in other sources in 1850.

But his death record (Cote V4E 687) here p. 4/12 is 9. May 1864 6. Arrondisement and died eighty years old. So for me Antoine Germain Bévalet (1784–1864) is more plausible. Does anyone know his true birth date?

As well I often read that he was on board of the Voyage autour du monde, entrepris par ordre du roi. Exécuté sur les corvettes de S.M. l'Uranie et la Physicienne, pendant les années 1817, 1818, 1819 et 1820 and Voyage autour du monde : exécuté par ordre du roi, sur la corvette de Sa Majesté, la Coquille, pendant les années 1822, 1823, 1824, et 1825. Is that true? Of course he illustrated some plates. Confusing for me was this one Voyage de l'Uranie, oiseaux, Cassican fluteur, White-backed magpie [picture] / Bevalet pinxt | National Library of Australia versus [t.3] (1824) [Atlas] - Voyage autour du monde - Biodiversity Heritage Library but Bévalets plate seems not been used in the atlas. More on the story see Picturing Australia (if true).

Finally not be confused with his son Louis Victor Bévalet (1808–1887) who also painted hummingbirds for Mulsant and (Verreaux).

I could not identify any bird named for him. Tornatella bevaletii Baudon, 1853 is not named for him or his son.
Je dédie cette coquille à mon ami Ch. Bevalet, qui m'a si souvent aidé de ses lumières, et de son expérience en géologie.

For what it's worth ... in my notes (to be inserted in my MS, in due time) I have René Lesson's first wife (unhyphenated) as "(Jeanne) Zoë [?, alt. Zoé?] Lesson (1799–1819)", commemorated in Zoe's Imperial Pigeon Ducula zoeae (Desmarest, 1826), also referred to as "Columba Zoeæ, Lesson" 1826 [a k a zoekejsarduva, in Swedish, or Carpophage de Zoé, in French, alt. (earlier) Colombe Zoé].

Compare to how the name of the dedicatee was written in the dear old, now defunct, HBW Alive Key (back in March 2020) versus today's Key:
zoeae
Jeanne Zoé Lesson née Massiou (1799-1819) first wife of French ornithologist René Lesson (Normand David in litt.) (Ducula).
zoeae
Jeanne-Zoé Lesson née Massiou (1799-1819) first wife of French ornithologist René Lesson (Normand David in litt.) (Ducula).
No idea why James added the hyphen since (between her two Given names, that is) ...

Also compare how her name was written in the Death record, in post #1 (and, thanks for that one Martin! (y)), there clearly written without hyphen:

Death Record.jpg

To me it looks like she as well might/could(?) have had third Given name (!?), or does it simply say "Dame" (Dame/Lady), though note that none of the other ladies on the same page/s are mentioned as such? :unsure:

In any case, a Birth record surely seems to be needed ...

1) Was the correct author ever analysed? Desmarest or Lesson? Or what was published first?
2) Zoé or Zoë?
3) ...
1) It sure was! See:
• Dickinson, Edward C., Murray D. Bruce, and Normand David. 2015. A review of the authorship and dates of publication of birds newly described from the "Voyage de la Coquille" (1822-1825) with comments on some spellings. Zoological Bibliography, vol. 3, no. 5. 69–162 (downloadable here):
(from p.82) There is no doubt that Lesson’s claim to proposing the name zoeae for a pigeon to honour his late wife had a foundation in fact, but at the time and in the circumstances he may have been pleased that the description could be published by Anselme Gaëtan Desmarest (1784‐ 1838), one of the editors of the Dictionnaire des Sciences naturelles (and one who could undoubtedly help Lesson in his career). In all probability Desmarest intended authorship to be attributed to Lesson, but as this is not explicit the Code obliges us to disregard this.

The main entry for Ducula zoeae, is found on pp. 89–90):
... Named for Lesson’s first wife (Jeanne Zoé Massiou; b. 20 March 1799, d. 23 November 1819)

2). In ITIS (Integrated Taxonomic Information System), who List this taxon as Ducula zoeae (Desmarest, 1826) = here we find the following (my blue bold):
[...]
Comment: Correct English vernacular of Ducula zoeae to possessive; named after Zoë Lesson, wife of René Lesson (IOC List v10.1.)
The earliest available use of Columba zoeae appeared in an article on pigeons authored by Desmarest (1826); as he did not indicate that he recieved the description from Lesson, the name should properly be credited to him rather than Lesson; see Dickinson, Bruce, and David, 2015

But didn't he? In the OD we're told:
Cette belle espéce, que M. Lesson consaere à la mémoire d’une épouse chérie, ...
To me (without understanding anything of the finer nuances in/of French, helped only by Google translate) it looks like the name indeed was coined by Lesson himself (even if first published by Desmarest, of course) ...

Well, that's it for today, I'm pretty sure I will return to this particular topic. ;)

Cheers

/B

Last edited:
A book says Rene was married on May 11, 1817, to Jeanne-Zoé Massiou, he had the great sorrow of losing her on November 23, 1819. 23 or 24 no difference. Some records show the birth of her daughter as 1820, that is not possible is it?
Compte rendu des travaux du congrès .
Zoé or Zoë?
Her name was the first but scientific names have to be Latin or Greek and Zoë is the Greek translation of Hebrew Eve.

Last edited:
Found that she was born 13 Ventôse VII here which wouldn't be 20 March 1799

Her birth record here p. 62/127
Why so secretive, Martin? If it "wouldn't be", if she wasn't born; "20 March 1799", as claimed in the Paper by Edward Dickinson, Murray Bruce, and Normand David (of 2015), what would you make of it ?

As I'm no Premium-Mitglieder/Premium Member of Geneanet I cannot reach further than into this page, where we're told: "Jeanne Zoé Massiou, née le 13 ventôse an VII (mars 1799), fille de Pierre-François Massiou, ..."

Please enlighten me (and us all), less familiar with the French Republican/Revolutionary calendar.

Do you mean that her Birth date instead ought to be 3 of March, 1799 in today's (Gregorian) calendar, in line with what's told here, or ...?

And; if so, is this truly what the Birth record itself tells us?

See excerpt below:
Excerpt of Birth record ....jpg

Anyone who understand what it says?

To me (with my meager understanding of French) it looks like she, and all the other kids, on the same book page/opening, seems to have been born on the same ("Aujourd’hui"/today/on the current day): "treize" (13) ventoze ... (on the next page they are born on quatorze ... quinze , 14 ... 15).

Also note that (trentième) 30 ventôse, in year VII (according to the converter above) would match the 20th of March, 1799 ... !? :unsure:

/B

Last edited:
Anyone who understand what it says?

The birth record says -
jeanne zoé
enfant de la patrie
----------
N° 359
----------
Aujourd'hui treize ventose l'an sept de la république française une et indivisible, sur les six heures du soir, par devant moi Jean Choyme officier public de la commune de Rochefort, canton d'idem, département de charente inférieure, est comparu à la maison commune la citoyenne Marie Anne Breuil accoucheuse, âgée de soixante ans, demeurant dans cette commune, laquelle accompagnée du c[itoy]en François Jamet canonier âgé de quarante cinq ans et de la citoyenne Jeanne Godeau fille âgée de vingt un ans demeurant aussi dans cette commune, m'a déclaré que Marie Joubert fille âgée de vingt ans, a accouché le onze du courant à quatre heures du soir, au domicile de la ditte Breuil, situé rue de la fraternité Section de l'est, d'un enfant femelle, des oeuvres du citoyen Pierre Faure capitaine d'infanterie, conformément à la déclaration faite au juge de paix, en date du douze de ce mois, et qui nous a été exhibée, qu'elle m'a présenté, et auquel elle a donné les prénoms de Jeanne Zoé. --
D'après cette déclaration, certifiée sincère par les témoins, j'ai rédigé le présent acte que les témoins ont signé avec moy, ce que la ditte Breuil a déclaré ne scavoir faire, fait à la maison commune de Rochefort les jours mois et an que dessus. rejeté neuf mots rayés nuls. --
Jamet
Godeau
Choyme
----------
Par jugement du tribunal civil de Rochefort rendu le vingt deux janvier 1818, il a été ordonné que l'acte de naissance ci-contre serait rectitié; en conséquence les expéditions à délivrer doivent porter: Marie Catherine Raymonde Gignioux et Pierre François Massiou, commis d'administration de la marine, au lieu de Marie Joubert et de Pierre Faure, capitaine d'infanterie, établi par erreur.

... A fairly complicated and somewhat intriguing case : she was declared by a midwife, on 13 Ventôse an VII, as being born on 11 Ventôse to a 20-year-old unmarried girl named Marie Joubert, as the illegitimate child of an infantry captain named Pierre Faure. As an illegitimate child, she did not receive the name of her putative father, and appeared there as "enfant de la patrie" (child of the nation). The birth record was rectified by order of the Civil Court of Rochefort, on 22 Jan 1818 (shortly before/after her marriage), making her the daughter of Marie Catherine Raymonde Gignioux and Pierre François Massiou, and declaring that the original record was "in error".

11 Ventôse an VII = 1 Mar 1799.

Last edited:
As well I often read that he was on board of the Voyage autour du monde, entrepris par ordre du roi. Exécuté sur les corvettes de S.M. l'Uranie et la Physicienne, pendant les années 1817, 1818, 1819 et 1820 and Voyage autour du monde : exécuté par ordre du roi, sur la corvette de Sa Majesté, la Coquille, pendant les années 1822, 1823, 1824, et 1825. Is that true? Of course he illustrated some plates. Confusing for me was this one Voyage de l'Uranie, oiseaux, Cassican fluteur, White-backed magpie [picture] / Bevalet pinxt | National Library of Australia versus [t.3] (1824) [Atlas] - Voyage autour du monde - Biodiversity Heritage Library but Bévalets plate seems not been used in the atlas. More on the story see Picturing Australia (if true).

I still have the question if Antoine Germain Bévalet was part of this two expeditions. I found Auguste Berard (1796-1852), Victor Charles Lottin (1795-1858) and of course Lesson but never Bévalet as mentioned e.g in Dictionnaire des Artistes de l'ecole francaise au 19e siecle. Peinture sculpture ... et composition musicale .

Last edited:
I still have the question if Antoine Germain Bévalet was part of this two expeditions. I found Auguste Berard (1796-1852), Victor Charles Lottin (1795-1858) and of course Lesson but never Bévalet ...
Martin, maybe this (and this) is the simple explanation of why, and how, Monsieur Bevalet's name ended up on the Plate of the White-backed Magpie? At least on one of them [my blue bolds in the quote below]:
Notes: Signed lower left corner in ink.
Painting of a magpie likely to have been captured during Captain Freycinet's visit to Sydney in November to December 1819. The painting is a portrait, taken from life, of an individual bird which was presented by Freycinet to the Paris Museum, and which survived in Paris for at least 4 years.
Title from Christie's auction catalogue: The Freycinet collection, .... Artist listed as "E. Bevalet".

Note that the two Plates discussed are not the same ... ;)

Voyage (Atlas), 1824.jpg Bevalet's Bird.jpg

Thus, take it for what it's worth, just some observations, after a quick look at the links you provided.

I have no Artist ny the name Bevalet (or even Bévalet) in my notes (nor in my MS).

/B

Last edited:
For me it is not the question if he painted for this expeditions e.g. t.1-2 (1826-1830) [Zoologie Atlas pt.1] - Voyage autour du monde - Biodiversity Heritage Library orhttps://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/item/119447#page/73/mode/1up for the Voyage de la Coquille por [t.3] (1824) [Atlas] - Voyage autour du monde - Biodiversity Heritage Library for la Voyage de l'Uranie. And he painted tools used at the Mariana Islands [Iles Mariannes ; divers objects a l'usage des anciens habitans] [picture] . But does that proof he was there? These things could have ben brought to Paris. There are similar illustration Résultats / Recherche / Moteur Collections / Ressources / Accueil - Culture.fr (Sandwich Island) Ile Guebe. Chapeaux, Armes et Ustensiles des Habitans. - Antique Print Map Room . So I thought the warrior here Musée du Quai Branly may indicate he was there. But he was not the artist of the warrior. WorldCat name him (Illustrator, Contributor) Voyage autour du monde, entrepris par ordre du roi. Exécuté sur les corvettes de S.M. l'Uranie et la Physicienne, pendant les années 1817, 1818, 1819 et 1820 | WorldCat.org

Even a picture in the Louvre is from him Saint Jérôme agenouillé (not natural history)

I am sure at least for one voyage the answer we can find in this part Voyage autour du Monde, exécuté par ordre du Roi, sur la corvette de Sa Majesté, la Coquille, pendant les années 1822, 1823, 1824 et 1825 par DUPERREY, Louis-Isidore (1786-1865): (1830) | Donald A. Heald Rare Books (ABAA) (which I can't find online)
L.-I. DUPERREY. Voyage autour du Monde . Histoire du Voyage. [Paris: 1829]. 2 volumes (quarto text [12 3/8 x 9 1/4 inches] and folio atlas [19 3/4 x 13 inches]. Text: [2], xlv, [1], 202pp. [all published]. With the half-title, but without a title page as usual. Uncut. Atlas: engraved title, 60 engraved plates (59 printed in colours and hand coloured) by Ambroise Tardieu after Duperrey, Lejeune and Chazal.

For Voyage autour du monde, entrepris par ordre du roi. Exécuté sur les corvettes de S.M. l'Uranie et la Physicienne Art of discovery | State Library of New South Wales
Jacques Arago (1790-1855) and Alphonse Pellion were employed as artists on Louis de Freycinet's scientific expedition (1817-1820). It was their task to create visual records of the people and places encountered during the voyage which were used to illustrate the published account of the expedition.
No Bévalet.

Regarding...
However, DSI (Database of Scientific Illustrators, 1450–1950), has two: here, and here.

Good luck finding the one you're looking for!

/B
... see...
Finally not be confused with his son Louis Victor Bévalet (1808–1887) who also painted hummingbirds for Mulsant and (Verreaux).
He painted as well for Lesson e.g. Histoire naturelle des oiseaux-mouches - Biodiversity Heritage Library
P.S. Mother was Anne Marie Patin (-1811). Louis was on a Voyage Voyage en Islande et au Groënland exécuté pendant les années 1835 et 1836 sur la corvette la Recherche - Biodiversity Heritage Library or Jónas HallgrÃmsson: To Mr. Paul Gaimard
La Commission scientifique de Islande et de Groënland — consisted (in addition to Gaimard himself) of a physicist and cartographer (Victor Lottin), a linguist and literary man (Xavier Marmier), an artist (Auguste Mayer), a geologist (Eugène Robert), a meteorologist (Raoul Anglès) and a depicter of animals (Louis Bévalet). According to Benedikt Gröndal, "Gaimard's expedition is the most famous of its kind ever to visit Iceland"

Last edited:
I am wondering if Bevalet married in 1843 Marie Julie Chignon somewhere in the departement Eure-et-Loir (at least this is the only Marie Julie Chignon I found in filae. If her she probably died in 1888 in the same location. That he was married with someone with this name we can read in his death record see #1. Till now I haven't found any of this records (neither marriage nor death).

From that marriage was a son called Charles Antoine Bevalet.

Birth record Cote V3E/N 189 (reconstructed) here p. 35/100 => 5. July 1826
Death record Cote V4E 4449 here p. 21/31 => 29. September 1878 14. Arrondisement

He is described Annuaire et almanach du commerce, de l'industrie, de la magistrature et de l'administration
Bevalet (Ch.) fils, naturaliste géologue, maison spec. de paléontologie, collection déterminée des fossiles de tous les terrains el des environs de Paris, collections pou l'étude des mollusques vivantes, etc. etc. N.-D.-des Champs, 12

Most probably the one mentioned in #1 in context with Tornatella bevaletii Baudon, 1853.

From the sons birth and death record I would somehow exclude marriage 1843 (but it is of course possible). So maybe also to find in filae

• Marriage 1819 Yveline
  • Death 1866 Yveline

Last edited:
At least it was not Bevalet who married the above Marie Julie Chignon in 1819 in Paray-Douaville here Cote 4E 2085 p. 154/170. It was a Jean Pierre Meurgé. And her death record here p, 60/123 Cote 4E 2088 confirms that she was only married to this guy.

At least I found her death as 14 February 1857 here Cote 5Mi1 1524 p 38 and 39/48. She died 67 years old (1790?).

Some more on the birth of the son Charles here Cote 5Mi1 294 p. 13 and 14 /50.

If we look at his second marriage here p. 32/38 we can see his father was François Noël Bevalet (probably as well an artist) and his mother Anne Louise Pinson.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back