• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Duel at sunset: Opticron Traveller ED 8x32 vs Kite Lynx HD+ 8x30 (and ELSV, Conquest HD) (1 Viewer)

Yes, I had a Traveller 8x32 for a short while. I loved everything about them, except I had some bothersome glare issues with them. Otherwise, I would have kept them for sure. Very nice bins. Compact, light weight, sharp, crisp optics. Ultimately, I opted to spring for UVHD+ 8x32, which I knew are as good as it gets for compact 8x32s - not inexpensive, but worth the scratch.

About three months ago I realized that I wanted a decent pair of pockets to take with me on my daily walks on the trails behind our house so I got a pair of Zeiss Terra 8x25 EDs. I had gotten tired of the wight of a good 8x32 around my neck (20-22 oz) when I was mostly "taking a walk" as opposed to when I was out birding. I just wanted to be able to get a decent look at anything interesting that popped up.

As it has turned out, I find that I absolutely love the feeling of freedom I get with only 10.5oz around my neck on a RYO harness. For me it's been liberating to cut the wight around my neck in half. And I basically love the Terras -- Unlike other's I've had no issues with them at all -- the build has been great, the focus is very easy and solid, etc. -- But the one issue I have has nothing to do with the Terra's per se -- As a non eyeglass user I have to carefully balance them against my eyebrows....I've learned to do and it's become more natural, but the bottom line is that for me as good as the view is, it is not nearly as easy and comfortable as 8x32. I don't think that makes me unique. It seems to be more the norm than not.

But this brings me to the choices I'm now thinking about -- do I get myself a pair of the Zeiss Victory 8x25s and compromise on finicky eye placement...or do I get myself a pair of Traveller's or the new Monarch's and compromise on weight? I do miss not being able to just raise my binoculars and plop them into my sockets and have a perfect view when I use the pockets, and from what I've read in most of the great reviews of the Victory 8x25s, it is generally the eyeglass wearers who find them a realistic all-the-time binocular that can replace an 8x32. But that doesn't seem to be me based on my experience with the Terras.

So I'm really interested in trying the Travelers -- maybe they will be an excellent compromise for me....no one else is offering an 8x32 at under 16ozs that I'm aware of. Perhaps a small amount of flare and glare is a reasonable compromise? In any event I'm interested in this whole conversation.

Since since every bin is a compromise of one sort or another, I would love any comments from those who have used the Travellers and the Victories....where do you come down on that compromise? Or any other thoughts that bear on trying to get a really decent view with a minimum of weight around the neck.

I played with the Victories for awhile as well as the Leica 8x25's.... I even went to the point of getting a mono-vid. Ultimately my conclusion was that they are too light. At the moment I prefer a 8x30 or 32 and yes, if you can get a Traveller which is around 16 ounces, you won't see that much of a difference in what you carry around in my thinking. But the Monarch M7 (new) looks like a potential winner as well as the Nikon HG (more expensive). I am thinking about the Opticron Verona but that comes in at 18.5 ounces so a few ounces more and have a feeling it competes well with the Monarch M7. The Traveller is better than the Monarch 7. Also an option is the Maven. So options out there. Just try.

About three months ago I realized that I wanted a decent pair of pockets to take with me on my daily walks on the trails behind our house so I got a pair of Zeiss Terra 8x25 EDs. I had gotten tired of the wight of a good 8x32 around my neck (20-22 oz) when I was mostly "taking a walk" as opposed to when I was out birding. I just wanted to be able to get a decent look at anything interesting that popped up.

As it has turned out, I find that I absolutely love the feeling of freedom I get with only 10.5oz around my neck on a RYO harness. For me it's been liberating to cut the wight around my neck in half. And I basically love the Terras -- Unlike other's I've had no issues with them at all -- the build has been great, the focus is very easy and solid, etc. -- But the one issue I have has nothing to do with the Terra's per se -- As a non eyeglass user I have to carefully balance them against my eyebrows....I've learned to do and it's become more natural, but the bottom line is that for me as good as the view is, it is not nearly as easy and comfortable as 8x32. I don't think that makes me unique. It seems to be more the norm than not.

But this brings me to the choices I'm now thinking about -- do I get myself a pair of the Zeiss Victory 8x25s and compromise on finicky eye placement...or do I get myself a pair of Traveller's or the new Monarch's and compromise on weight? I do miss not being able to just raise my binoculars and plop them into my sockets and have a perfect view when I use the pockets, and from what I've read in most of the great reviews of the Victory 8x25s, it is generally the eyeglass wearers who find them a realistic all-the-time binocular that can replace an 8x32. But that doesn't seem to be me based on my experience with the Terras.

So I'm really interested in trying the Travelers -- maybe they will be an excellent compromise for me....no one else is offering an 8x32 at under 16ozs that I'm aware of. Perhaps a small amount of flare and glare is a reasonable compromise? In any event I'm interested in this whole conversation.

Since since every bin is a compromise of one sort or another, I would love any comments from those who have used the Travellers and the Victories....where do you come down on that compromise? Or any other thoughts that bear on trying to get a really decent view with a minimum of weight around the neck.
I have the non ED version of these, that are about worn out. I may replace them with these. Worth a serious, long, hard look if you want a 32 mm binocular very little larger than a 25 mm.

I have the non ED version of these, that are about worn out. I may replace them with these. Worth a serious, long, hard look if you want a 32 mm binocular very little larger than a 25 mm.

That's interesting...I wasn't aware of the Discovery...just had a quick look at the specs...amazing, a 32 with ED for under $300 and under 14oz! I'm sure the optics are less than incredible but they're still interesting to me as a really light alternative for when I'm not headed out on a major birding expedition in the rain forest. Thanks.

You may very well find the Travellers are perfect for you. And if you experience some glare, perhaps it won't be very bothersome to you, either? They are wonderful binoculars and it's easy to see why so many people like them!

I only gave mine up because I already knew what I could have with the UVHD+, if I was willing to part with the cash.

Definitely try the Travellers, you'll likely find them to be just the ticket for you.

Last edited:
You may very well find the Travellers are perfect for you. And if you experience some glare, perhaps it won't be very bothersome to you, either? They are wonderful binoculars and it's easy to see why so many people like them!

I only gave mine up because I already knew what I could have with the UVHD+, if I was willing to part with the cash.

Definitely try the Travellers, you'll likely find them to be just the ticket for you.
Thanks very much. I will likely give them a try sometime when we get past the holidays.

I just read Troubador's great new review of the Veranos and was somewhat confirmed in my guess -- that both binoculars are very good in their own ways...since I'm looking for lighter rather than more optically "perfect" the Travellers may well be a great choice for me even if they aren't the best around on glare. In that regard I'm still interested in whether the new M7 has improved in controlling glare. I always enjoy it when I can find really good optics at a good price and it sure sounds like the Opticon is filling that niche very well.

I always enjoy reading your posts.

Thanks very much. I will likely give them a try sometime when we get past the holidays.

I just read Troubador's great new review of the Veranos and was somewhat confirmed in my guess -- that both binoculars are very good in their own ways...since I'm looking for lighter rather than more optically "perfect" the Travellers may well be a great choice for me even if they aren't the best around on glare. In that regard I'm still interested in whether the new M7 has improved in controlling glare. I always enjoy it when I can find really good optics at a good price and it sure sounds like the Opticon is filling that niche very well.

I always enjoy reading your posts.
I have seen some of the reviews on the M7's...the new Monarchs. I am still not convinced on overall quality of the Monarchs. I think the MHG is solid optically and build wise, but just not convinced on the M7's based upon some of the reviews I have read. I haven't seen the M7 so can't relate personally but do your homework and you decide where to stand on the M7's. The new Verano's (8x32)so far are coming in pretty positive and the Traveller's might have their issues, but overall quality appears apparent, .... jim

I have seen some of the reviews on the M7's...the new Monarchs. I am still not convinced on overall quality of the Monarchs. I think the MHG is solid optically and build wise, but just not convinced on the M7's based upon some of the reviews I have read. I haven't seen the M7 so can't relate personally but do your homework and you decide where to stand on the M7's. The new Verano's (8x32)so far are coming in pretty positive and the Traveller's might have their issues, but overall quality appears apparent, .... jim
I have yet to read a review that has a direct comparison with the "old" Monarchs, especially as to glare. If you have a link to one that would be interesting. Overall I'm more interested in the Opticons from what I know so far. I do have a preference for 32mm vs 30mm...generally an easier view with fewer eye placement issues for someone like me who doesn't wear glasses with my binoculars. I know the MHG has a great reputation. I've never tried them.

I have yet to read a review that has a direct comparison with the "old" Monarchs, especially as to glare. If you have a link to one that would be interesting. Overall I'm more interested in the Opticons from what I know so far. I do have a preference for 32mm vs 30mm...generally an easier view with fewer eye placement issues for someone like me who doesn't wear glasses with my binoculars. I know the MHG has a great reputation. I've never tried them.

Thanks Imans, I had read that comparison and it was really helpful. What I was referring to was some new reviews that compare the new Monarchs with the old Monarchs. I am more inclined to the Travellers but I am curious if the Monarchs have been significantly upgraded, especially as to glare. The one or two posts I've read haven't been real one vs the other evaluations. I'm kind of hoping that in the future there will be a push to bring more alpha 8x32s to the market at lower weights.

I'm kind of hoping that in the future there will be a push to bring more alpha 8x32s to the market at lower weights.
At the moment we still have options as the Alpha's do have the EL 8x32... The SF 8x32 just came out, and the Ultravid 8x32 is around. True, perhaps not low weight as equal to either of the Opticron we are speaking of or the MGH or M7's... Maybe they realize that at the moment, it isn't physically possible to do so without giving up on some optical features that they cannot address. But there is the Swaro CL under 20 ounces, and the Trinovid / or Conquest are not that far over 20 ounces. Regardless, currently there is choice, jim

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back