• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dusky-capped Flycatcher, Arizona (1 Viewer)

zoutedrop

zoutedrop
Hi all,

Would like to validate a Dusky-capped Flycatcher
from southern Arizona a couple of weeks ago.
No further tail detail. If you can, please comment
on why this is not an Ash-throated as I am colorblind.

Attachments

• 01 JV8A1100 DCFL.jpg
    01 JV8A1100 DCFL.jpg
    337.5 KB · Views: 24
I am actually leaning the opposite direction. Even without the tail tip, you can still see the dark edge and rufous (or at least brighter if that is part of your color blindness) on most of the tail underside. Sibley directly mentions very little rufous on underside of tail for DcF. I also think that the underside of the lower body would be pale if hit by the light instead of in shadow.

Niels

The bill is definitively not dusky capped which has a long and thin bill. I am thinking this is ash throated. It’s not an easy Id but just looking at the sibley field guide and focusing on the bill gives me that vibe

Last edited:
Thanks to both of you. My Sibley's doesn't show as much difference between the two species as is being described and backed up in a photo review. Nice job.

There are several versions of Sibley, the big book; east and west smaller books; and the app version. I have the latter. The text especially might differ a little between versions.

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back