• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dusted Case-bearer - Coleophora adspersella (1 Viewer)

RichardBaatsen

Dusted Case-bearer - Coleophora adspersella

Are there any confusion species for Coleophora adspersella
Can anyone confirm the ID on this one for me.

It looks good for this species.

Cheers

Attachments

• Dusted Case-bearer.JPG
    Dusted Case-bearer.JPG
    204.2 KB · Views: 40
Dusted Case-bearer - Coleophora adspersella

Are there any confusion species for Coleophora adspersella
Can anyone confirm the ID on this one for me.

It looks good for this species.

Cheers

looks more like Coleophora hemerobiella but i think either would be good for Glos so best confirm by dissection.

Interestingly, point 1 of the key to adult coleophora in MOGBI Vol. 3 page 146 states:-

'Forewing appearing grey with a greyish fuscous stigma at end of discal cell - C. hemerobiella
Forewing either without a stigma or ferruginous-brown - go to 2'

https://www.amentsoc.org/insects/glossary/terms/discal-cell

Its been a job for every winter for the last four to read the Coleophora keys at leisure! Still not done it.

Does this imply adspersella does not have the stigma?

All the best

Last edited:
Thanks for that
I seen what you mean about Coleophora hemerobiella.
It's always the small ones that seem to be more interesting.

According to Gaunt 2000 and subsequent MM records
Coleophora hemerobiella known from Tewkesbury 1985 (cases on Pyrus), Chase End 1999 & Pool Hill 2001

Coleophora adspersella is Nb known only known from from single Pool Hill record in 1998.

So well worth sending specimen to county recorder.

This genus is always going to be poorly recorded until we get a hand-held digital device that scans genitalia for us...

Hi
There's a good reason that C. hemerobiella is at the start of the key - it is the easiest (and one of very few) species to be able to identify by eye. It is the only one with this dark forewing spot. So yours is C. hemerobiella. C. adspesella is a very different looking beast - much more of a streaky coleophorid, and best identified by dissection - or breeding out from the case.
Martin

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back