• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dutch Birding bird names 2012 (1 Viewer)

Richard Klim

-------------------------
van den Berg 2012. Dutch Birding-vogelnamen / Dutch Birding bird names. 1 Jan 2012. [pdf]

[A preview of the annual taxa names update to be published in Dutch Birding 34(1).]

Taxonomic changes (wrt the preceding versions, Jan/Aug 2011) include:

• Circus hudsonius Northern Harrier split from C cyaneus
  • Charadrius atrifrons Lesser Sand Plover split from C mongolus Mongolian Sand Plover
  • Nandayus nenday to Aratinga
  • Apus pacificus Fork-tailed Swift renamed Pacific Swift (reflecting extralimital split of A salimalii, A leuconyx, A cooki)
  • Dendrocopos lilfordi Lilford's Woodpecker split from D leucotos
  • Riparia cincta Banded Martin to Neophedina
  • Riparia chinensis Grey-throated Martin split from R paludicola
  • Luscinia cyane, L sibilans to Larvivora
  • Luscinia calliope to Calliope
  • Oenanthe lugens warriae ssp nov Basalt Wheatear ('sometimes considered specifically distinct')
  • Lonchura malabarica to Euodice
  • Carduelis spinus to Spinus
  • Carduelis cannabina, C flavirostris to Linaria
  • Carduelis cabaret, C flammea, C hornemanni to Acanthis
  • Uragus sibiricus to Carpodacus
A few other changes concern vernacular names or additions to the WP list.

Last edited:
van den Berg 2012. Dutch Birding-vogelnamen / Dutch Birding bird names. 1 Jan 2012

Apus pacificus Fork-tailed Swift renamed Pacific Swift (reflecting extralimital split of A salimalii, A leuconyx, A cooki)

[*]Riparia cincta Banded Martin to Neophedina

[*]Riparia chinensis Grey-throated Martin split from R paludicola
[/LIST]

Re the split of Apus pacificus, this is one that will cause much head-scratching among listers - have they seen this taxon or that taxon? Given the propensity for pacificus sensu stricto to wander and the perennial difficulties of identifying swifts in flight, it is likely that more than one taxon has occurred in the WP and in the OSME Region!

Re Neophedina, this presumably follows AERCTAC 2011, but was the original impetus from Sheldon & Winkler 1993 (Auk 110(4): 798-824))?

Re Grey-throated Martin: I think IOC2.0 was the first world list to accept this split
MJB

Pacific Swift

Re the split of Apus pacificus, this is one that will cause much head-scratching among listers - have they seen this taxon or that taxon? Given the propensity for pacificus sensu stricto to wander and the perennial difficulties of identifying swifts in flight, it is likely that more than one taxon has occurred in the WP and in the OSME Region!
A pacificus ss is the highest-latitude form and the only really long-distance (intercontinental) migrant - so is easily the most-likely vagrant to Europe. [It was fortunate that the individual representing the first British record was captured, allowing positive identification as pacifus using in-hand measurements and photographs.]

But A leuconyx is presumably possible in the Arabian Peninsula.

Last edited:
White-backed Woodpecker

If Lilford's Woodpecker Dendrocopos [leucotos] lilfordi is specifically recognised, then presumably Owston's Woodpecker D [l] owstoni deserves similar treatment (although extralimital to the DB list).

If Lilford's Woodpecker Dendrocopos [leucotos] lilfordi is specifically recognised, then presumably Owston's Woodpecker D [l] owstoni deserves similar treatment (although extralimital to the DB list).

owstoni is so different, and found in an area where insular endemism is frequent that I've always wondered why it was stuck in leucotos in the first place. Alright, they look similar, but not that similar. I've always split it, ever since I saw my first one last century ( I've been waiting for 12 years to be able to say that :t: )

Chris

Yellow Wagtail

van den Berg 2011. Dutch Birding-vogelnamen / Dutch Birding bird names. 13 Aug 2011. [pdf]

...one notable taxonomic revision is the lumping(!) of Motacilla iberiae Spanish Wagtail (split by Sangster et al 1999) with M cinereocapilla Ashy-headed Wagtail as 'White-throated Wagtail'. This aligns with the possible PSC arrangement suggested by Alström et al 2003 (Pipits & Wagtails, p34), although that work mistakenly gives priority to iberiae.

PS. It would be interesting to know whether CSNA still supports the recognition of M simillima Kamchatka Wagtail (also split by Sangster et al 1999). ['Simillima' is synonymised with tschutschensis by Alström et al 2003].
DB 34(1) confirms that the recent lumping of Motacilla iberiae with M cinereocapilla "conforms the list of taxa according to the Phylogenetic Species Concept in Alström et al (2003)".

So, on the same basis, I wonder if we can now implicitly assume that CSNA/Dutch Birding no longer recognises M simillima 'Kamchatka Wagtail' (synonymised with tschutschensis in Alström et al 2003) as a PSC species, but perhaps now additionally recognises M macronyx 'Manchurian Wagtail' (identified as a possible PSC species in Alström et al 2003), contra Sangster et al (CSNA) 1999...?

[As far as I'm aware, there's been no update to CSNA's treatment of the entire M flava complex since 1999.]

Last edited:
May 2012 update

van den Berg 2012. Dutch Birding-vogelnamen / Dutch Birding bird names. 1 May 2012. [pdf]

Unless I've missed something, just a couple of changes to sequence/vernacular names.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back