• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

    Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Eagle Eye Contax/Kyocera Digiscoping accessory kit review (1 Viewer)

Andy Bright

Administrator
Staff member
England
Took delivery of this kit a few weeks ago and it's typically well designed and solidly built by EagleEye (aluminium and stainless steel). Models available to suit Contax SL300RT, Contax U4R, Kyocera SL300, Kyocera SL400.

So what is it?
Basically it's a two part kit, one half providing a solid metal 37mm thread around the camera lens... so no more fragile plastic 28mm adapter as supplied by Contax, and no more worrying about the camera's lens surround taking the weight of the camera. Wobble-free!!

Depending upon the kit purchased, a 'Digimount' adapter for your scope/eyepiece can be provided. For those with a 28mm threaded 'Digimount' or other type of adapter, EagleEye can supply a small 37mm-28mm step ring.

The other half of the kit provides a platform for a cable-release (supplied with the kit) to be placed over the shutter release button, as well as supporting the invaluable extend-a-view pro monitor shade/magnifier (supplied). In addition, this device also provides a tripod socket on the underside of the camera... probably not much use for the digiscoper but handy for plenty of other photographic uses.

What is clever about the design is that it allows use of every button on these tiny cameras, even with the Extend-a-view attached. What's more, the memory card/battery compartment is fully accessible with everything attached.

It all takes a bit of setting up (it's basic ut do read the instructions), but once everything is attached, there's no real reason for the digiscoper to ever have to remove it.

A full review is available on my site here http://www.digiscoped.com/EagleEye.html

A few photos to show what it's all about.
 

Attachments

  • EagleeyeContaxkit1.jpg
    EagleeyeContaxkit1.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 504
  • EagleeyeContaxkit3.jpg
    EagleeyeContaxkit3.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 466
  • EagleeyeContaxKit2.jpg
    EagleeyeContaxKit2.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 501

BobM

Member
Andy Bright said:
Took delivery of this kit a few weeks ago and it's typically well designed and solidly built by EagleEye (aluminium and stainless steel). Models available to suit Contax SL300RT, Contax U4R, Kyocera SL300, Kyocera SL400.

So what is it?
Basically it's a two part kit, one half providing a solid metal 37mm thread around the camera lens... so no more fragile plastic 28mm adapter as supplied by Contax, and no more worrying about the camera's lens surround taking the weight of the camera. Wobble-free!!

Four questions, Andy:

1) do you think the use of this kit would make it safe to keep the camera attached to the scope when moving the setup to a new location? I know that others have said it's not safe to do so with the plastic adapter.

2) do you know how much this kit weighs?

3) I have a Kowa TSN-823 scope with the Kowa TSN-DA1 adapter for my CP4500. Will that adapter work with this kit? I assume I'd need a step ring to adjust for the 37-28mm difference. Will that intoduce vignetting? (I should note here that I'm considering getting the new Kowa 21x wa eyepiece for digiscoping).

4) Do you have any idea how many shots you can get with either the Kyocera or Contax using a battery pack and 2000 mha batteries?

Thanks for your help.
Bob
 

Andy Bright

Administrator
Staff member
England
BobM said:
Four questions, Andy:

1) do you think the use of this kit would make it safe to keep the camera attached to the scope when moving the setup to a new location? I know that others have said it's not safe to do so with the plastic adapter.

2) do you know how much this kit weighs?

3) I have a Kowa TSN-823 scope with the Kowa TSN-DA1 adapter for my CP4500. Will that adapter work with this kit? I assume I'd need a step ring to adjust for the 37-28mm difference. Will that intoduce vignetting? (I should note here that I'm considering getting the new Kowa 21x wa eyepiece for digiscoping).

4) Do you have any idea how many shots you can get with either the Kyocera or Contax using a battery pack and 2000 mha batteries?

Thanks for your help.
Bob
Hi Bob,
1: Yes, the camera is very secure and you can walk around with it on the scope without any worries.
2: Haven't weighed it but it's not going to be an issue.. very light indeed, the extend-a-view shade probably weighs more than the rest.
3: I haven't seen the 37-28 mm step ring supplied by EagleEye... I know step rings vary in slimness. I'll bet vignetting will be pretty much the same as what your are getting with your current set-up.
4: Very difficult to give even rough figures here as there are so many variables (monitor use, gaps between shooting). With the elusive Contax battery pack + internal battery, you will be safe for a good days shooting.

cheers,
Andy
 

Neil

Well-known member
The Kyocera/Contax battery is 700mmha from memory so theoretically the battery pack should last about as long as 3 batteries. My experience has been varied with the battheries, with some lasting much longer than others ( I have 4 of them which last me a half day , or 1 igig. ( I shoot some video too). Neil.
 

Andy Bright

Administrator
Staff member
England
Neil said:
The Kyocera/Contax battery is 700mmha from memory so theoretically the battery pack should last about as long as 3 batteries. My experience has been varied with the battheries, with some lasting much longer than others ( I have 4 of them which last me a half day , or 1 igig. ( I shoot some video too). Neil.
Yep, must admit that I was basing this on using my 2350mah AA's in power pack.
At last years birdfair I was actively demonstrating the camera from about 10am-5pm (power pack + a single battery managed), this included a lot of demos of it's shooting speed, so no shortages of images taken.

Cheers,
Andy
 

BobM

Member
Andy Bright said:
Hi Bob,
4: Very difficult to give even rough figures here as there are so many variables (monitor use, gaps between shooting). With the elusive Contax battery pack + internal battery, you will be safe for a good days shooting.

cheers,
Andy

Thanks, Andy and Neil. Andy, does your reference to the "battery pack + internal battery" mean that the internal battery must be in the camera and have some juice left in order for the power pack to work, or will AA batteries work even if the internal battery is discharged?

Also, will the battery pack work with 1.5 volt (nonrechargeable) lithium or alkaline batteries, or will that be too much voltage for the camera? (I'm going on a 13 day backpacking trip in Alaska in August and am afraid a second set of rechargeables would be too self-discharged by the last part of the trip to be useful, but if you disagree, let me know).

Finally, my recollection is that the battery pack will work with the Kyocera SL300R and SL400R and the Contax SL300RT, but not with the Contax U4R. Is that correct?

Thanks again.
Bob
 

Andy Bright

Administrator
Staff member
England
BobM said:
Thanks, Andy and Neil. Andy, does your reference to the "battery pack + internal battery" mean that the internal battery must be in the camera and have some juice left in order for the power pack to work, or will AA batteries work even if the internal battery is discharged?

Also, will the battery pack work with 1.5 volt (nonrechargeable) lithium or alkaline batteries, or will that be too much voltage for the camera? (I'm going on a 13 day backpacking trip in Alaska in August and am afraid a second set of rechargeables would be too self-discharged by the last part of the trip to be useful, but if you disagree, let me know).

Finally, my recollection is that the battery pack will work with the Kyocera SL300R and SL400R and the Contax SL300RT, but not with the Contax U4R. Is that correct?

Thanks again.
Bob
The internal battery does not need to be inside the camera when using the power pack. With the battery inside the camera and power pack connected the internal battery will be recharged.

I would advise against using non-rechargeable batteries.

No, unfortunately the Contax U4R cannot be used with the power pack.

cheers,
Andy
 

Andrew Crowder

Active member
Andy Bright said:
Took delivery of this kit a few weeks ago and it's typically well designed and solidly built by EagleEye (aluminium and stainless steel). Models available to suit Contax SL300RT, Contax U4R, Kyocera SL300, Kyocera SL400.

So what is it?
Basically it's a two part kit, one half providing a solid metal 37mm thread around the camera lens... so no more fragile plastic 28mm adapter as supplied by Contax, and no more worrying about the camera's lens surround taking the weight of the camera. Wobble-free!!

Depending upon the kit purchased, a 'Digimount' adapter for your scope/eyepiece can be provided. For those with a 28mm threaded 'Digimount' or other type of adapter, EagleEye can supply a small 37mm-28mm step ring.

The other half of the kit provides a platform for a cable-release (supplied with the kit) to be placed over the shutter release button, as well as supporting the invaluable extend-a-view pro monitor shade/magnifier (supplied). In addition, this device also provides a tripod socket on the underside of the camera... probably not much use for the digiscoper but handy for plenty of other photographic uses.

What is clever about the design is that it allows use of every button on these tiny cameras, even with the Extend-a-view attached. What's more, the memory card/battery compartment is fully accessible with everything attached.

It all takes a bit of setting up (it's basic ut do read the instructions), but once everything is attached, there's no real reason for the digiscoper to ever have to remove it.

A full review is available on my site here http://www.digiscoped.com/EagleEye.html

A few photos to show what it's all about.
Andy,
Just taken delivery of the U4R version. It looks slightly different to your thumbnail shot and, unless I've got it completely wrong, the battery compartment is not accessible without removing the cable release support. Also I'm having difficulty with the Extend-a-view. It does not slide on easily and removing it is the real problem as it hits function buttons as it moves off the support.
It could be that there's a technique I havent mastered but I'd be interested to know how other users are getting.
Andrew
 

Andy Bright

Administrator
Staff member
England
Andrew Crowder said:
Andy,
Just taken delivery of the U4R version. It looks slightly different to your thumbnail shot and, unless I've got it completely wrong, the battery compartment is not accessible without removing the cable release support. Also I'm having difficulty with the Extend-a-view. It does not slide on easily and removing it is the real problem as it hits function buttons as it moves off the support.
It could be that there's a technique I havent mastered but I'd be interested to know how other users are getting.
Andrew
Hi Andrew,
The version I was sent was for the Contax SL300RT/Kyocera SL300/Kyocera SL400. So the U4R version will be slighlty different as it's dimensions are slightly different to the others (and the U4R has a 2inch monitor). I cannot really see why the U4R version would block off access to the battery/card area, despite having to accomodate a 2inch extend-a-view.

As for the extend-a-view being tough to get on and off...did yours come with velcro attached? This prevents any damage to the surface of the camera and takes the device further away from the screen (which may make a tighter fit?). Personally, i'd probably take a bit of emery cloth to the pins to reduce their diameter slightly.

If you do have problems with it, I would suggest contacting EagleEye about the matter.

Cheers,
Andy
 

Pike

Member
Andrew Crowder said:
Andy,
Just taken delivery of the U4R version. It looks slightly different to your thumbnail shot and, unless I've got it completely wrong, the battery compartment is not accessible without removing the cable release support. Also I'm having difficulty with the Extend-a-view. It does not slide on easily and removing it is the real problem as it hits function buttons as it moves off the support.
It could be that there's a technique I havent mastered but I'd be interested to know how other users are getting.
Andrew

Hello Andrew:

I am interested in knowing whether you and other U4R users have overcome the initial problems with the Extend-a-view?

Thanks in advance.

E. Pike
Canada
 

Paul Hackett

Well-known member
Pike said:
Hello Andrew:

I am interested in knowing whether you and other U4R users have overcome the initial problems with the Extend-a-view?

Thanks in advance.

E. Pike
Canada


Initially i did find it a little difficult but not impossible to take the Extend-a-view off, but with practice there is an easy way to do it, just wiggle the extend-a-aview from side to side as you pull it off the two prongs that it sits on, and pull up and out at the same time towards you avoiding the buttons, if you do it rapidly and hard it does stick a little, it just takes a little practice, i have used it extensively now and dont think twice about it

hope this helps?

rgds

Paul
 

Digital Dingbat

Well-known member
Eagleeye with Kyocera SL400R

Using the Eagleeye kit with my Kowa 611 (angled scope) I find the shutter release part tries to swivel that part of the camera (SL400R) under its weight. However it makes such a difference to the images that I wouldn't use it without.

The Eagleeye adaptor does not use the plastic filter holder (I have removed mine) but provides an adaptor that slips over the lens and gives a 37mm metal thread. Hence very much stronger.


(Has anyone used it on a straight scope?)
 
Last edited:
Andy Bright said:
Took delivery of this kit a few weeks ago and it's typically well designed and solidly built by EagleEye (aluminium and stainless steel). Models available to suit Contax SL300RT, Contax U4R, Kyocera SL300, Kyocera SL400.

So what is it?
Basically it's a two part kit, one half providing a solid metal 37mm thread around the camera lens... so no more fragile plastic 28mm adapter as supplied by Contax, and no more worrying about the camera's lens surround taking the weight of the camera. Wobble-free!!

Depending upon the kit purchased, a 'Digimount' adapter for your scope/eyepiece can be provided. For those with a 28mm threaded 'Digimount' or other type of adapter, EagleEye can supply a small 37mm-28mm step ring.

The other half of the kit provides a platform for a cable-release (supplied with the kit) to be placed over the shutter release button, as well as supporting the invaluable extend-a-view pro monitor shade/magnifier (supplied). In addition, this device also provides a tripod socket on the underside of the camera... probably not much use for the digiscoper but handy for plenty of other photographic uses.

What is clever about the design is that it allows use of every button on these tiny cameras, even with the Extend-a-view attached. What's more, the memory card/battery compartment is fully accessible with everything attached.

It all takes a bit of setting up (it's basic ut do read the instructions), but once everything is attached, there's no real reason for the digiscoper to ever have to remove it.

A full review is available on my site here http://www.digiscoped.com/EagleEye.html

A few photos to show what it's all about.

Andy

I am thinking of purchasing the Eagle eye U4R kit to link up the Swarovski DCB drop down adaptor to my Swarovski 80HD / U4R set up. My only concern is creating a flush seal at the scopes 20-60x zoom lens face as this would not be a fixed point. The outside diameter of the scope lens at the view point = 55.00mm. Any advice would be appreciated

Regards

Ray
 

pjdunn

New member
Kyocera SL300R

Having just inherited the Kyocera SL300R, I've noticed that the lens mount is flush so would not take even the contax 28mm plastic adapter. Andy you mention this camera in his review, how does it fit to this model? Does anyone know of an adapter that will?

Thanks - my first posting!! :h?:
 

Pie Face

Well-known member
pjdunn said:
Having just inherited the Kyocera SL300R, I've noticed that the lens mount is flush so would not take even the contax 28mm plastic adapter. Andy you mention this camera in his review, how does it fit to this model? Does anyone know of an adapter that will?

Thanks - my first posting!! :h?:

The Eagle eye and Opticron adaptors fit this model.

Mark
 

pjdunn

New member
Deja-vu said:
The Eagle eye and Opticron adaptors fit this model.

Mark

Thanks for the quick reply Mark. Having looked at the Eagle-Eye site I still cannot see how it fastens to this camera but I will enquire. I know the Contax versions and the SL400 have a raised mount around the lens to slide the adapter on but with this one being flush, can't see how they do it. Have tried hand holding it to a x26 eyepiece on a Leica 62 but couldn't get a sharp picture. Anyway need to get a replacement for my old Sony P52 which just died and was an excellent fit on this eyepiece,being the same diameter and sat squarely on the rubber without any adapter!!

Bets wishes Peter
 

Rob Smallwood

Well-known member
I thought that the SL300R & SL400R were almost identical?

Are you sure that the black plastic surround to the lens doesn't "twist" off to allow the 28mm plastic adaptor to be twisted back on as in the SL400R?

I thought that mine didn't at first until I got "the knack" ?
 

pjdunn

New member
Rob Smallwood said:
I thought that the SL300R & SL400R were almost identical?

Are you sure that the black plastic surround to the lens doesn't "twist" off to allow the 28mm plastic adaptor to be twisted back on as in the SL400R?

I thought that mine didn't at first until I got "the knack" ?

Doesn't seem to Rob, I can't even get hold of it as it is almost flush to the body!!

Peter
 

Rob Smallwood

Well-known member
pjdunn said:
Doesn't seem to Rob, I can't even get hold of it as it is almost flush to the body!!

Peter

Hold the camera closed and with the screen towards you. Is there a "seam" in the black plastic surround? If so it should twist off.

If there is no seam there will be a tiny lip on the outside edge of the plastic and also on the edge between the lens and the flash . This lip is just deep enough to get your fingernail under. If this is the case then the 28 mm plastic mount will twist on to the lens cover.

Hope this helps.
 

Pie Face

Well-known member
There is no raised lip on the Kyocera SL300. The Eagle eye adaptor clamps around the back of the lens body,
Sorry for the brief responce but I've got to go to work

Mark :-C
 
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top