• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
Feel the intensity, not your equipment. Maximum image quality. Minimum weight. The new ZEISS SFL, up to 30% less weight than comparable competitors.

Eagle in Missouri, US (1 Viewer)

TKbird

Posting on behalf of my brother, who drove across the country in February 2018 (we're from MA and get a decent number of Bald Eagles, but few Golden Eagles). In southern Missouri (near Winona) he saw an eagle that struck him as golden, and got poor photos as it flew away. At this point he doesn't remember details, so all we've got are these junky photos and the knowledge that a Golden Eagle in southern Missouri would be even more surprising than here in MA. But I thought I'd post them anyway to see if any eagle experts can glean something from the shape!

Thanks!
TKbird

Attachments

• IMG_2150.jpeg
    IMG_2150.jpeg
    393.5 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_2151.jpeg
    IMG_2151.jpeg
    372 KB · Views: 39

THE_FERN

Very difficult for me at least. Second appears to show a white tail base. I assume bald would show more white than this, suggesting it's an immature goldie. But I wouldn't bet the house on it.

Deb Burhinus

Used to be well known! 😎
Europe
It’s not identifiable. Immature Bald Eagles (2cy/3cy/4cy) show dark to increasingly white tail bases with terminal tail bands (while 1cy/2cy/3cy Golden show white to increasingly dark) so at some point in development overlap in this regard with imm Bald. Without a view of underparts and or head pattern, or at least clear wing shape, a definitive ID is not possible here.

TKbird

It’s not identifiable. Immature Bald Eagles (2cy/3cy/4cy) show dark to increasingly white tail bases with terminal tail bands (while 1cy/2cy/3cy Golden show white to increasingly dark) so at some point in development overlap in this regard with imm Bald. Without a view of underparts and or head pattern, or at least clear wing shape, a definitive ID is not possible here.
Thanks!!

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread