• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eagle in the Rhondda ????? (1 Viewer)

mowla

My nephew Barry who lives in Ferndale in the Rhondda valley has told me on Saturday 13th December this year he saw a 'massive bird of prey' flying up and along the mountains close to his home. He says he's seen many kites and buzzards before but this bird was 'twice the size' all dark, broad straight wings with a pale head and neck. No pictures I'm afraid. From the description all I can think of would be an eagle species, golden/white tailed ?.
Have there been any reports of eagles in the south wales area recently?
Would like to here your opinions regarding this bird.
Gary, suffolk birder.

Haven't seen anything on the locals websites Gary. A falconers bird maybe? There's an escaped Golden Eagle in the Cors Caron area but that's a long way from Ferndale.

Rich

There were reports of a Golden Eagle a few years back in the Garw Valley. Turned out to be an escapee if memory serves me right, so maybe not impossible.........

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back