• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eagle - Madrid (1 Viewer)

Thanks for your help on that, Butty.

I've got essentially the same query again about a couple of eagles on nests (again in Madrid area). A bit more challenging as we have pretty much only the heads to go on. They are definitely two different nests! My hunch is one is a Golden and one is a Spanish Imperial, but I need some help to be 100% sure. I appreciate this may be a tough call! But hopefully someone can give some insight on how to differentiate here.

Of course I could have stuck around longer for these birds to reveal more of themselves or the males (I'm assuming these pictured are most likely females?) to show up, but I wanted to disturb as little as possible and not linger - I only happened upon them by chance along a lightly used track.

As it happens, I could see a Golden Eagle in flight not too far away, especially from the first nest, but I don't draw any conclusions from that as it's not unusual to see either species at this location. Each nest had one (that I could see) empty smaller nest nearby. I know it's typical of Spanish Imperial Eagles to build several nests, but I don't know what Goldens are like in this regard? I'd be curious to know though if anyone can answer that!

TIA for any help.

Last edited:
Yes, Golden Eagles frequently have more than one platform in their territory.

BTW, I think it is not a good practice to post photos of birds in the nest, even in a forum like this where you can assume that everyone is highly respectful for birds. If one unsuspectfully comes too close to a nest I understand you can snap a quick photo and keep it for yourself, but making it public makes a substantial difference

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back