• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eagle Optics Ranger 10x42mm (1 Viewer)

Stud Duck

http://www.eagleoptics.com/binoculars/eagle-optics/eagle-optics-ranger-10x42-binocular

I've searched this forum and read the reviews on Eagle Optics web site. Are the binoculars found at the above link as good as everyone says they are?

Comparing them to the other make/models currently being produced, what would they be one par with?

Any information you could provide me would be helpful.

Thank you.

ETA: How would they compare to the current Cableas Alaskan Guide binos?

Last edited:
I have to admit that I have never tried any of the Eagle Optics Ranger series of bins. I do remember reading positive reviews of them for many years now...probably a previous version in addition to the current model.

Looking at the specs on the website they seem to be typical of the "$300 roof" price point. Comparable models would be something like the newer Nikon Monarch ATB (with dielectric coatings) or the Bushnell Legend Ultra HD. Comparable models exist from a variety of other companies as well. The Legend Ultra HDs in particular are an excellent buy right now as they can be found for around $250 on the net plus they have a $50 mail in rebate.

You are familiar with my thoughts on the Alaskan Guides from over on Opticstalk. They had been priced around $500 and, at that price point, I think there are significantly better offerings from the other companies mentioned that surpass them optically but for hundreds of dollars less.

Hope this helps.

I really respect EO as a company as they are second to none in customer service. I used an earlier version Ranger in 8x32 for about 2 yrs. It was great but by current standards it had excessive chromatic aberration, and was dim compared to other 8x32 due to their coatings, I would imagine. They might have fixed that in the latest version - Mine was the one from Japan.

But, having used both the Legend that Frank mentions and the EO, I would not hesitate to suggest - buy one of the Legend HDs on Amazon - especially in the Warehouse deals and don't look back. The fit and finish is great. I had had some annoying challenges with the diopter setting but truth be told, it was probably user error. Sorry to say the EO is a great deal.... 4 years ago!

I also have an earlier EO Ranger SRT 8x32 before they upgraded to the Dialectic coatings, mine made in China. I have not looked through the Bushnell Ultra HD but from what I have read it has better optical performance than what I see from my ranger.

I had had some annoying challenges with the diopter setting but truth be told, it was probably user error

Not to get off track but I would be interested in hearing about that. I ran into some "finnickiness" with the diopter design myself but it was relatively easily remedied.

The newly released Kowa SV appears pretty much identical to Eagle Optics Ranger. Looking at 10x50 models, even FoV is within one foot of each other. However, it does not say the Kowas have Dielectric coatings and they appear to be about $50 cheaper than the Rangers.

I have a Vortex 10x 42 talon.... From what I understand they are the same bino. If so.... Great bino's.... Can't say one negative thing....they feel comfy in my hands, focus with ease.... Color is excellent as well as clarity. I did pay $450.... Lifetime warranty...

I like the looks, specs and price of the little Kowa 8x32.

When I looked at the 8x42 though something struck me as familiar.....what do you think?

....almost the exact same eye relief, size, weight and field of view specs....

Attachments

• kowa.jpg
    kowa.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 69
  • nikon.jpg
    nikon.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 84
I have a Vortex 10x 42 talon.... From what I understand they are the same bino.

the Talon HD is the same as the Ranger ED.

the binocular we are talking about here is the "standard" EO Ranger. It's been offered by EO for a long time now, first as the "Platinum" Ranger, then the Ranger "SRT", and now just "Ranger" with dielectric coatings. The Talon HD / Ranger ED on the other hand is part of the new "chinese open bridge" family of offerings. This review of the Ranger ED covers the differences from the standard Ranger pretty well: http://www.bestbinocularsreviews.com/Eagle Optics8x42RangerED-89.htm

as others have noted it is indeed an excellent binocular and pretty typical among $250-300 roof prisms. I had the previous SRT 8x42 and they were definitely better than my wife's Nikon Monarchs (a little brighter and sharper, wider FOV, better focus knob and eyecups) plus of course you get the unimpeachable EO warranty. And IMO the rubber armor is great, very comfortable, and they are extremely light and compact for a 8x42 model.

Their biggest flaw compared to some of the newer designs is that they don't control CA very well and they don't have as wide of a FOV.

The newly released Kowa SV appears pretty much identical to Eagle Optics Ranger.

sorry, I don't see it at all. The 10x50's bear a passing resemblance but compare other specs besides FOV. And the 42mm models look nothing alike, the Ranger is much lighter and more compact and has much better close focus.

sorry, I don't see it at all. The 10x50's bear a passing resemblance but compare other specs besides FOV. And the 42mm models look nothing alike, the Ranger is much lighter and more compact and has much better close focus.

You're right. I was just referring to the physical appearance of the 10x50s.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back