• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Eagle over Brora beach (1 Viewer)

GeorgeMac

Sutherland
I've seen ospreys off Brora beach, but never an eagle. It was heading out to sea and judging from its flight path appeared to have come from the hills around Loch Brora. Can anyone ID this bird from these poor photos?

eagle.jpg

Nutcracker

Stop Brexit!
Wooo that's exciting. I wonder if they're nesting around here somewhere? Or could be!
From the dark tail, it's an immature; can't tell whether hatched this year or last year. The young birds wander around a lot, so it may be from nearby, or a long way off! They don't nest until they're 5-6 years old.

MJB

I've seen ospreys off Brora beach, but never an eagle. It was heading out to sea and judging from its flight path appeared to have come from the hills around Loch Brora. Can anyone ID this bird from these poor photos?
There's ample potential roost sites above Sciberscross and near Dalnessie, and so they could be a part of its winter territory near the River Brora. Tarbat Ness is only 17.5km from Brora Beach and Spey Bay, the Upper Findhorn 50km and Spey Valley about 60km. There's no reason that a non-breeding bird wouldn't explore these areas for food each day.

MJB

There's ample potential roost sites above Sciberscross and near Dalnessie, and so they could be a part of its winter territory near the River Brora. Tarbat Ness is only 17.5km from Brora Beach and the Upper Findhorn 50km and Spey Valley about 60km. There's no reason that a non-breeding bird wouldn't explore these areas for food each day.

Users who are viewing this thread