• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Eagle silhouettes - Bulgaria Black Sea (1 Viewer)

MSA

I may be relaxed but I'm not drunk....
Why isn't the first pic Steppe Eagle, Tom? I'm pretty rusty on these eagles, so I'm just asking not contradicting your ID.

tconzemi

Tom
Supporter
Europe
Why isn't the first pic Steppe Eagle, Tom? I'm pretty rusty on these eagles, so I'm just asking not contradicting your ID.

Good question, knowing that this kind of pictures can be very deceptive. I still would expect longer fingers and a much bigger bill in Steppe, the square hand being typical for both GSE and Steppe

lou salomon

the birdonist
nothing sure from these pics. even no 1 could well be a LSE; as Tom said, single pics of distant raptors can be deceptive. 7th finger is not really long and still variable in the two Clanga species. head could belong to LSE, imo, not well enough visible to make a call.and yes steppe eagle is a really rare migrant along western black sea coast.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread