• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eagle, Singapore (1 Viewer)

wuwu1277

Hi, These two blur photos were taken in Singapore yesterday, not very sure if can be IDed, pls advise, thanks a lot in advance

Attachments

• 1127717409.jpg
    1127717409.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 52
  • 1283193731.jpg
    1283193731.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 53
I’m getting the impression of a Black Kite here rather than an eagle sp. I need to look at a larger screen - juvenile Brahminy would be a possibility here too?

Last edited:
Juvenile Brahminy Kite.

Grahame
Was just about to post again having looked at some images and enlarged the OP but you beat me to it.

Yes, absolutely Brahminy Kite - a conclusion I had already come to - noting the unbarred remiges and general structure, underwing pattern and broader hand cf to Black Kite (not immediately obvious on the rather small/dark image my mobile phone.)

Last edited:
Pale wing panels with dark primary tips are pointers to brahminy kite here, as is lack of a forked tail (although that's difficult to judge from these photos)

Pale wing panels with dark primary tips are pointers to brahminy kite here
That wouldn’t be a main criteria for me to separate juvenile Brahminy tbh, juvenile migrans also can present with pale bases to the primaries contrasting with darker fingers

even lineatus the default sub-sp - although not as extensive

Agree the point though as part of the list of features already highlighted above but as you say the “lack of a forked tail,“ would not be part of the equation here because of the angle which is why I didn’t mention it 🙂

Last edited:
I’m getting the impression of a Black Kite here rather than an eagle sp. I need to look at a larger screen - juvenile Brahminy would be a possibility here too?
On the question at the end... Brahminy Kite is a common resident breeder, Black Kite is a rare passage migrant/winter visitor - from memory just 1-2 records so far this winter a couple of months ago.

On the question at the end... Brahminy Kite is a common resident breeder, Black Kite is a rare passage migrant/winter visitor - from memory just 1-2 records so far this winter a couple of months ago.
Thanks Viator - I am not familiar with Singapore, hence the question, and part of the reason I finally concluded it was a Brahminy after checking range maps, so thank you for the clarification - Always appreciate words from the ground!

Last edited:
That wouldn’t be a main criteria for me to separate juvenile Brahminy tbh, juvenile migrans also can present with pale bases to the primaries contrasting with darker fingers

even lineatus the default sub-sp - although not as extensive

Agree the point though as part of the list of features already highlighted above but as you say the “lack of a forked tail,“ would not be part of the equation here because of the angle which is why I didn’t mention it 🙂
In my experience, in the field, the wing panels are usually quite clear. Maybe others have other experience.

In my experience, in the field, the wing panels are usually quite clear. Maybe others have other experience.
Well that’s the point I was making - juvenile Black Kite also show white ‘wing panels’ and dark primaries from below which is why I would not necessarily use the ‘wing panel’ as separating criteria for juvenile Black Kite and juvenile Brahminy Kite.

See juvenile Brahminy
juvenile lineatus

Anyway, that’s just me and my ‘experience in the field’ and how I would go about prioritising distinguishing features - the fact that the OP shows an unbarred wing panel cf to the barred remiges of Black Kite to me is more significant 🙂

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back