• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Earlswood Lakes & Surrounding Area (1 Viewer)

Male Common Scoter and female Goldeneye still present today ….Scoter spotted in morning but I could not locate it from 12 -1pm.

Male Common Scoter and female Goldeneye still present today ….Scoter spotted in morning but I could not locate it from 12 -1pm.

Hi Keith, what time did you see the scoter at Earlswood yesterday morning please? I see there was a report of a male at Upper Bittell also during that morning.

Hi Keith, what time did you see the scoter at Earlswood yesterday morning please? I see there was a report of a male at Upper Bittell also during that morning.

I didn't...I met a local birder...(old in camo) and he said he had it in the morning but was looking for it again same time as me...around midday.

Engine Pool.....don't know if Scoter still here...but can't see it if it is....Male Goosander and Female Goldeneye spotted.

What looked like a juvenile Mandarin moulting into an adult male by dam at Windmill Pool this afternoon. One kingfisher sped across Terry's Pool. And a cloud of swallows and house martins held one sand martin over Engine Pool. The local thunder and hail must have brought the insects down.

Not much water today and so not many birds, apart from one goosander clinging on. A pair of oycs may have been attracted by the acres of mud but were actually on the undrained tank. So I went searching for Blythe Valley Park. That seems to have been built over.

Both tanks filling up, maybe due to recent rain. As I passed the station, a red kite drifted over and then obliged again from the car park. Since the walk around the main lakes has been so curtailed, I checked out the third full-ish tank and hit paydirt. I could hear little ringed plovers and then was amazed to see two on the shingle in front of me. One looked as though it was sitting. I hope it's fully protected under law from the encroaching functionaries and their machines.

Yes there are 2 LRP's....one seemed to stay by the car park end while the other liked the end by the causeway or even on Windmill pool.
Over the weekend I had
2 Little Ringed Plover
1 Ringed Plover
1 Common Sandpiper
1 Greenshank
2 Oystercatcher
1 Yellow Wagtail
Loads of Swallow, House Martins and Swifts.
also on Thursday 2 Whimbrel on far shore by Engine House which I missed.

Attachments

• _MG_8212.JPG
    _MG_8212.JPG
    321.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 28.JPG
    28.JPG
    247.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 40.JPG
    40.JPG
    251 KB · Views: 2
  • 41.JPG
    41.JPG
    246.6 KB · Views: 1
  • 75.JPG
    75.JPG
    353.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 76.JPG
    76.JPG
    712.1 KB · Views: 1
  • 89.JPG
    89.JPG
    334 KB · Views: 2
Yes 1 LRP on shingle near car park and the other likes the far end by the causeway and even on Windmill Pool.
Over the weekend I saw
2 Little Ring Plover
1 Ring Plover
1 Common Sandpiper
1 Greenshank
1 Yellow Wagtail
2 Oystercatchers
also 2 Whimbrel on far shore by Engine House on Thursday which I missed.

Attachments

• 28.JPG
    28.JPG
    247.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 40.JPG
    40.JPG
    251 KB · Views: 0
  • 41.JPG
    41.JPG
    246.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 75.JPG
    75.JPG
    353.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 76.JPG
    76.JPG
    712.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 89.JPG
    89.JPG
    334 KB · Views: 0
  • _MG_8212.JPG
    _MG_8212.JPG
    321.1 KB · Views: 0
This time on the Windmill Pool (I know its name now) one adult LRP and at least three juveniles. Good news finally! The oycs didn't look at all successful but the crows did.

EARLSWOOD LAKES 1/9/21
Little Stint - Greenshank - Ringed Plover - Black Tailed Godwit - Snipe

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    298.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    214.6 KB · Views: 5
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    418.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    425 KB · Views: 6
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    350 KB · Views: 6
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    379.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 9.JPG
    9.JPG
    204.2 KB · Views: 5
  • 8.JPG
    8.JPG
    227.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    178.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 10.JPG
    10.JPG
    260.6 KB · Views: 7
A couple of recent visitors to Terry's...a Male Pintail 27/2/22 and a male Wigeon 2/4/22.....

Attachments

• 47.JPG
    47.JPG
    647.4 KB · Views: 2
  • 2B6A7262.JPG
    2B6A7262.JPG
    355.4 KB · Views: 2
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back