• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Easter Island (1 Viewer)

Allen S. Moore

I have read that the avifauna of Easter Island is very impoverished, but I am thinking about going there to see the statues next year. Has anyone from the forum been there, and what birds did you see?

Allen

Last edited:

njlarsen

Gallery Moderator
Opus Editor
Supporter
Barbados
I cannot remember where I read it, but seabirds should dominate the scene

Niels

Chlidonias

you could well say the avifauna is very impoverished - the native land birds are entirely extinct! (Only a few species are known from pre-European remains in caves and lava tubes). Most of the breeding seabirds were also wiped out. I haven't been there myself, but there are still a few seabirds around and a few introduced land-birds

Here is the Easter Island checklist http://avibase.bsc-eoc.org/checklist.jsp?region=clei&list=clements

Allen S. Moore

Easter Island bird list

you could well say the avifauna is very impoverished - the native land birds are entirely extinct! (Only a few species are known from pre-European remains in caves and lava tubes). Most of the breeding seabirds were also wiped out. I haven't been there myself, but there are still a few seabirds around and a few introduced land-birds

Here is the Easter Island checklist http://avibase.bsc-eoc.org/checklist.jsp?region=clei&list=clements

Many thanks. It is an interesting, albeit very short, list. I was wondering if any waders ever made it to Easter Island!

Allen

Chlidonias

as I understand it, most of the Easter Island shoreline is cliffs. There aren't many beaches for waders to, um, wade. There are no longer any streams on the island since the forest cover was entirely destroyed, but there is a swamp at the top of the island (not sure if its continuously wet or not though).

Allen S. Moore

as I understand it, most of the Easter Island shoreline is cliffs. There aren't many beaches for waders to, um, wade. There are no longer any streams on the island since the forest cover was entirely destroyed, but there is a swamp at the top of the island (not sure if its continuously wet or not though).

Aye, I have a DVD with some films by David Attenborough which includes "The Lost Gods of Easter Island." It includes a scene on the island in which David Attenborough stands on a sandy beach describing Captain Cook's visit. The cliffs look quite spectacular, too.

Users who are viewing this thread