• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eastern Brazil + Paragominas mid April-mid June 2022 (1 Viewer)

My current plan is to spend 7 weeks driving a loop north from Sao Paulo to Recife, then back south to Sao Paulo via inland sites.

I am including some extra time to look for some of the most critically endangered species that have become more difficult to find (Cherry-throated Tananger, Banded Cotinga, Alagoas Antwren, Orange-bellied Antwren, Alagoas Tyrannulet).

If necessary, I might skip some locations to have more time looking for the above critically endangered species.

Note that mid-May is exactly the wrong time of year to visit the Recife area since some key locations are only accesible via dirt tracks that are notoriously bad (probably impassible even for a 4wd) if it has been raining - and May is one of the rainiest months there.

But I can't get time off work during the good (much less rainy) half of the year Sep-Feb...
Maybe I will be able to walk in instead.

After that I will fly from Sao Paulo to Belem for a week to visit the Paragominas area - where some remote areas remaining in this most deforested area of the Amazon may yet harbour a few of the critically endangered Black-winged Trumpeter and Belem Curassow.

These two recent splits (from Dark-winged Trumpeter and Bare-faced Curassow) are only recognized by birdlife international and there are very few recent records of either of them.

I don't actually have a plan yet for how to find them.

But I don't consider an international birding trip to be complete without going to some off-the-beaten-track area to (most likely) dip on some extremely rare and/or elusive species!

I am not including sites south of Sao Paulo or around Fortaleza on this trip, due to lack of time.

Nothing is locked in yet though, so I can probably change my plans to work in with any other birders who may want to join me.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back