• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eastern Buzzard or Osprey? (1 Viewer)

Otarujef

Master Blurry Bird Phototaker
Supporter
Japan
Place: Tokyo - Kasai Rinkai Park next to Disneyland
Date: May 10th 10:20 am

Hi Everyone :D
Trying to figure out which or something else.
In the books I narrowed it down to either an Eastern Buzzard or an Osprey,
or perhaps it is something else?
Pardon for the quick flyby and 1 chance shot.
Any help is well appreciated!
Jeff :)

Attachments

• 750_7196B.jpg
    750_7196B.jpg
    384 KB · Views: 76
Thanks Ken! :D
At least not an Osprey. I live up in Hokkaido,
so I am not so familar with what is seen in the Tokyo area.

Thanks Butty,
I was debating between some kind of harrier or buzzard. marsh in a bird santuary next to the ocean with mudflats and grass as well.
Here is another photo of 2 that were near the ocean, but may have flown over the pond later. there are many places and perches for them to chill and hunt from around the 3-4 ponds.

Attachments

• 750_7583B.jpg
    7.8 MB · Views: 29
Thanks Butty and foresttwitcher :D
Maybe I am wrong,
In the first photo set the tail would be longer if a harrier?
As far as the eagles, I only have knowledge of the Steller's and the white-tails which I have seen enough to know of being in Hokkaido.
Other Raptors (other than the Black-eared Kite) I need help with IDing. the 2nd photos, if Eagles , they would be more mountainous in habitat???
If Kites, either maybe not the best camera light and distance, or they are pretty beat up.
What are your thoughts?

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back