• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eastern Chanting Goshawk - Ethiopia October 2019 (1 Viewer)

Aladdin

Thailand
Dear members and birdwatchers!

Identified the picture #1 and 2 as Eastern Chanting Goshawk. Now I see that the bird have orange bill and thus a Dark Chanting Goshawk according to my book. But the stripes only goes halfway up the breast like the Eastern Chanting Goshawk according to my book

The Dark have stripes all the way up to the shoulder with the stripes going in under the wings.

Picture #3 +4 was identified as a Juvenile Eastern Chanting Goshawk. And I have a very hard time to see the difference between Dark and Eastern juveniles in the book. The only difference I can see it the more white vent on the Eastern. Picture #4 don't show the vent but it looks more white on the tail.

Anyone that can tell me that I am wrong about 1 and 2. Now I want to change it to Dark from Eastern.

Kind regards and happy birding
Aladdin

Attachments

• 843.jpg
    843.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 23
  • 844.jpg
    844.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 15
  • 34.jpg
    34.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 24
  • 101.jpg
    101.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 20
pic 1 and 2 is a Dark Chanting-goshawk indeed
there is no difference in breast barring between Dark and Eastern, what book do you use?
the bird in pic 3 and 4 looks good for Dark too but as you said this is a difficult pair, the somewhat browner flanks are better for Dark, a nice look on the uppertail coverts would help
Also Eastern is restricted to the eastern deserts in Ethiopia, so location may help too

pic 1 and 2 is a Dark Chanting-goshawk indeed
there is no difference in breast barring between Dark and Eastern, what book do you use?
the bird in pic 3 and 4 looks good for Dark too but as you said this is a difficult pair, the somewhat browner flanks are better for Dark, a nice look on the uppertail coverts would help
Also Eastern is restricted to the eastern deserts in Ethiopia, so location may help too

Thank you AGAIN tconzemi!!

You are the very same one helping me identifying picture # 3 and 4 back in September 2018, https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=366981

I attach a picture from my book Horns of Africa, might be my imagination, but the Eastern show no gap between the breast barring ( A new word I learned today from your post) And the grey area goes longer down on the breast

And the Dark have a small wedge between the barred area and the shoulder. Hope it is visible in the scanned picture from the Book "Birds of Horn of Africa"

And I cannot see the difference between the juveniles in the book, but as you
I the bird as, Eastern first time you helped me and I agree with this after having seen the lighter tail on the juvenil

I spotted the bird at Lake Langano. And according to attached picture #2, range maps from the book it can be any of the two birds.

But then I will go for Darker adult and Eastern juvenile

Thanks again

Kind regards and happy birding
Aladdin

Attachments

• CCI_000014.jpg
    CCI_000014.jpg
    200.6 KB · Views: 14
  • CCI_000014-2.jpg
    CCI_000014-2.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 7
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back