• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia

Eastern Crowned Warbler? - Gyeryongsan, South Korea, 23/7/21 (1 Viewer)

sandwich311

Hi,
I'm not sure which warbler this is. It looks to me like an Eastern Crowned Warbler but I don't see any colouring on the centre of the crown.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Attachments

• DSC_4298.jpeg
    DSC_4298.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 52
  • DSC_4310.jpeg
    DSC_4310.jpeg
    625.1 KB · Views: 52
  • DSC_4337.jpeg
    DSC_4337.jpeg
    957.2 KB · Views: 53

Grahame Walbridge

It's a Pale-legged/Sakhalin Leaf Warbler which explains the absence of a coronal stripe. Note in particular fleshy legs, pale-tipped bill with extensive dark distally to lower mandible and different overall plumage tones, ECW has brighter yellowish-green fringes to remiges and cleaner, whiter underparts. PLLW/SLW's also both habitually pump their tails but separation only by vocalizations so you need a sound recording.

AFAIK, the early date would favour Pale-legged.

Grahame

Last edited:

Grahame Walbridge

Thanks so much for the detailed explanation. That is immensely helpful.
Rob
Rob, in relation to timing should have added the nearest PLLW's breed in North Korea and disperse through July (Duckworth) see https://bioone.org/journals/ardea/v...s-in-Northern-Korea/10.5253/078.095.0112.full while the nearest SLLW.s breed in Hokkaido and migrants should average slightly later in both seasons. However, to stress again , confirmation to species is only by vocalisation.

Grahame

Last edited:
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia

Users who are viewing this thread