• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eastern Phoebe Nest (1 Viewer)

alm3744

United States
Hello,
I am new to this forum so I am sorry if this is not the right thread where this should be posted. I’m just wondering if anyone has any advice/ insight into why the Eastern Phoebe nest on my balcony seems to be having nothing but issues this year.
I just moved into my current home last year and noticed an Eastern Phoebe nest in the rafters of my balcony. Nothing out of the ordinary happened last year and this year, I was excited to welcome them back. Not sure how big the first brood was, but a nestling fell out (I figured it was an accident). There is a second brood, but just now, I stepped out onto my balcony to find that there were two dead fledglings on the floor. The nest is secure so I really don’t know what could have happened. Earlier, two phoebes were flying in and out and there was a lot of commotion around the nest but I didn’t see any other type of bird around. I’m really sad this happened and I just want to protect them.

Hello,
I am new to this forum so I am sorry if this is not the right thread where this should be posted. I’m just wondering if anyone has any advice/ insight into why the Eastern Phoebe nest on my balcony seems to be having nothing but issues this year.
I just moved into my current home last year and noticed an Eastern Phoebe nest in the rafters of my balcony. Nothing out of the ordinary happened last year and this year, I was excited to welcome them back. Not sure how big the first brood was, but a nestling fell out (I figured it was an accident). There is a second brood, but just now, I stepped out onto my balcony to find that there were two dead fledglings on the floor. The nest is secure so I really don’t know what could have happened. Earlier, two phoebes were flying in and out and there was a lot of commotion around the nest but I didn’t see any other type of bird around. I’m really sad this happened and I just want to protect them.
What remains in the nest, any chance there's a Cowbird involved?

Hello,
Oh, my. We have had the exact same thing happen to our annual Eastern Phoebe residents! The first brood we found dead on the floor beneath the nest on our front porch. As you describe...after lots of commotion. Both Phoebe's flying to and fro...which led me to believe it was not the result of an interloper. One of them had almost always been in or very near the nest. But it was very hot at that time. Then again in the last week, on the second try, this time the fledges were dead in the nest. Lots of commotion from the parents. It is searing. It wasn't as hot this time around. We just can't figure it out. I am curious to know what the impact of these incidents is on the birds. Amazing that gestation is only 16 days. I expect they will try again. Mysterious. We are in Connecticut. Where are you?

Hello,
Hi there and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum (y)
We're glad you found us and please join in wherever you like. ;)
Oh, my. We have had the exact same thing happen to our annual Eastern Phoebe residents! The first brood we found dead on the floor beneath the nest on our front porch. As you describe...after lots of commotion. Both Phoebe's flying to and fro...which led me to believe it was not the result of an interloper. One of them had almost always been in or very near the nest. But it was very hot at that time. Then again in the last week, on the second try, this time the fledges were dead in the nest. Lots of commotion from the parents. It is searing. It wasn't as hot this time around. We just can't figure it out. I am curious to know what the impact of these incidents is on the birds. Amazing that gestation is only 16 days. I expect they will try again. Mysterious. We are in Connecticut. Where are you?
Hi there and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum (y)
We're glad you found us and please join in wherever you like. ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back