• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eastern vs Western meadowlarks in Texas (1 Viewer)

Tired

United States
Can any of these be IDed down to species based on the photos? As far as I'm aware, all photos are of different birds. I'm taking some guesses based on this, https://www.birds.cornell.edu/crows/mlarkdiff.htm, but would like a more experienced eye on them. Not adding them to any lists either way without confirmation.
1611881283873.png
Photo 1. Western?

1611881370999.png
Photo 2. Western?

1611881422843.png
Photo 3. Eastern?

1611881488226.png
Photo 4. Western?

I'm leaning towards Western for all of them. They don't seem as Vibrant as the Eastern version but let's see what others have to say.

Where in Texas? you would possibly have the Lillians version to contend with as well.

Niels

It is my understanding that the best way is to listen to the 'call'...as it becomes obvious. I have tried in my many travels across country to determine what I am 'seeing' but it always turns out to what I 'hear'...just a suggestion. Of course that does little help now when you only have images...sorry... jim

Oh no, more of them? I'm in Central Texas, about 30 minutes northeast of Austin.

I couldn't hear any of these singing at the time. I may just have to find some by song to add them to my list as one species or another, I suppose. Is there a particular time of year where they tend to sing more? These all seemed to be busy with other things.

Spring...summer.... You have a few months. But just google the 'call' of the meadowlark from Cornell Lab etc and listen for the distinction. The meadowlark has to be my favorite bird as I can remember my dad loving the call and always waiting to hear it, best of luck, jim

I think you're pretty good to call the first two Western. The 3rd and 4th I won't comment on as it's been so long since I've paid attention to Meadowlarks in the US or Mexico that I don't have a good feel for them anymore. Voice is certainly very useful for these birds, as pointed out!

I've listened to them both on Cornell Labs, and I can see why the song is the best way to tell them apart. Eastern meadowlarks have a pretty song that's... what I would call 'normal'. I'm sure I could learn to tell it apart from other things, but it sounds to me like a fairly typical, but pretty, bird song. Western meadowlarks have a weird bit in the middle that makes them sound like they've halfway turned into a gurgling creek.

Thanks for the help, all. Glad I can at least add Western meadowlarks to my list. I'll have to go back and see if I can find an Eastern. I also need to find a Western bluebird- I know they're present, I saw one there before, but only got nice pictures of Easterns. I'm trying to take at least one nice picture of every species of bird I can find. And I got a glimpse of something with black and white wings, that looked quite a bit larger than the other birds.
That's the general area I've been checking out. You can see there's been quite a variety of birds seen there.

I haven't seen a western bluebird in west Texas....I imagine in the Apache area of NM or other higher ground.... Maybe that park on Southwest Texas? ..what is that called? But that might be a good spot as it is hilly and forested, right?

The signage for the park says they've had both species of bluebirds. Since this is a park that's participating in prairie restoration, and seems to be good about maintaining natural habitat, I expect they know what they're talking about. I could swear I've seen them mentioned elsewhere in my area.
This particular park is slightly hilly and definitely forested, and they have bluebird nesting boxes set up.

The link didn't work for me, but the range map on the Western bluebird page shows them within a few miles of the park I was at. Maybe I can get lucky and find a stray at some point.

One more meadowlark to ask about, from today. This one, weirdly enough, with no tail feathers. I wonder where they went? The posture seems odd, too. Do they just stand like that sometimes?

Attachments

• DSCN0204.JPG
    DSCN0204.JPG
    6.9 MB · Views: 9
  • DSCN0205.JPG
    DSCN0205.JPG
    7.1 MB · Views: 8
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back