• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Eastern Wood-pewee? Jacksonville, Fl (1 Viewer)

Newton-W

This shot was taken 9/2/2020 in Jacksonville, Florida. Actively feeding with another bird. Pretty small bird, maybe Tufted Titmouse size.

Thanks in advance,

Newton

Attachments

• Eastern Wood-pewee1a.JPG
    Eastern Wood-pewee1a.JPG
    589 KB · Views: 38

Newton-W

It is an Eastern Wood-pewee, confirmed by our area ebird checker. I also sent her another shot with the one I posted here (see attached) which shows the behavior she describes more clearly. This is a portion of her reply:

"The large, strong bill rules out the daintier Empidonax, as well as the fact the bird is perched on a large and exposed branch (typical pewee behavior! Empids prefer more discreet perches low in bushes, especially on migration). Most Empids also have much stronger/more noticeable wingbars than this bird, and the wood-pewee's primary extension is also pretty long compared to similar flycatchers. The uniform color from the head to back and overall shape rule out Eastern Phoebe."

Thanks to all who looked, this was a tough one and a "life bird" for me |:D|
Newton

Attachments

• Eastern Wood Pewee-2a.JPG
    Eastern Wood Pewee-2a.JPG
    630.5 KB · Views: 13

Users who are viewing this thread