• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia

eBird and biking: does one really need to split a checklist into tiny segments? (1 Viewer)

Vyomkesh

India
Would be a dream if big platforms like these would share their database and knowledge; offering an option to upload observations to both to create one worldwide knowledge database. To ex/import the data between them is not very easy. Now it's a bit divided US/EU again.

Well, one can dream. I understand it's not easily feasible.
If I understand right, GBIF is one such platform. One disadvantage I find is doubling of data (Eg - submitting to both obs and eBird)

Vyomkesh

India
@LucaPCP if you are going to use eBird (that's upto you) then assuming that one way track is 8km or less and you are using same roite back, submit one incidental list for a separate location. Else start a new list everytime you stop which is definitely inconvenient.

jurek

Would be a dream if big platforms like these would share their database and knowledge; offering an option to upload observations to both to create one worldwide knowledge database. To ex/import the data between them is not very easy. Now it's a bit divided US/EU again.

Well, one can dream. I understand it's not easily feasible.

I think an IT person with basic understanding of databases (not necessary even maps) could write it easily. A script which sends you records to all these: observation, ornitho and ebird and a script which takes extract from one format and converts it to two others.

My understanding is that these portals will not do it themselves, because a) they are short of money for IT staff b) they are run by scientists who live from publishing papers from the data, so don't want to easily share with other scientists.

Can you elaborate?
See the discussion here:

I wanted to make the step to the internationally most used birder's platform last year but still thought obs more user friendly and effective, in many respects./

In this case, most used is unfortunately not the same as the best. McDonald's is the most used restaurant chain.

THE_FERN

jurek said:
I think an IT person with basic understanding of databases (not necessary even maps) could write it easily. A script which sends you records to all these: observation, ornitho and ebird and a script which takes extract from one format and converts it to two others.

My understanding is that these portals will not do it themselves, because a) they are short of money for IT staff b) they are run by scientists who live from publishing papers from the data, so don't want to easily share with other scientists.

"Basic understanding..." Umm yes . It does depend what format your sightings are in to begin with, and whether all these other databases either have the same info as each other (and you) or allow you to submit data with missing fields.

On the "few it resources" point. This is one argument for open sourcing their apps and schema. Another is that they've developed them with public money

You can get quite detailed dumps of the ebird database: for example all the birds listed for all the hotspots without too much difficulty.

Last edited:

THE_FERN

Well the dream for me is something which records exactly what I see where (precisely) I see it. If I then want to tag a string of observations as a "trip" so be it. Perhaps obsmap does (some) of this..?
Adding to this thread so it's all in one place. I really wish that:
  1. You could submit GPS traces as part of a data (spreadsheet) upload. There are well established ways of specifying traces as plain text; it would be easy enough to add this as a column to the sheet. As it is, I can see no simple way to add traces to historic data---even when these exist.
  2. I don't see any way to get my traces out of ebird (but see below). Why not?
  3. Editing traces is difficult, limited and primitive. There's no particular reason for this (but again see "accuracy" below)
Having said this, I had a poke around the ebird app. The underlying sqlite database contains every list you've ever submitted, together with all the GPS traces. Those contain an accuracy field. In principle, then, you can update this database prior to submission. But what a crazy faff! Why can't ebird just open source their app to make this sort of thing easier?

ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Colombia
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Colombia

Users who are viewing this thread