• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

eBird app problems on Android (1 Viewer)

Doctor Twitchings

One of the things I really liked about the eBird app on my phone was just how easy it was to use. At the end of a trip your sightings could be easily submitted straight away without any fuss. Now (as from yesterday) the app isn't allowing me to name a new location or to be able to submit a checklist. This means more time spent on a PC re-entering all the information again, which is very disappointing. I'm currently using a Samsung S10 and have been using the app without any problems since October 2020.

Anyone else have this issue?

I just tried this on my phone and there was no problem at all.

???

Perhaps restarting your phone will reset things? Like rebooting your computer??

I just tried this on my phone and there was no problem at all.

???

Perhaps restarting your phone will reset things? Like rebooting your computer??
Restarting my phone was the first thing I tried but it hasn't solved the problem. I keep getting a 'There was an error submitting your checklist' message. There was an app update on December 16th, but I submitted a checklist successfully from my phone on December 20th.

Android user here, haven't had any difficulties with the app and I have it with the December 16 update and I've had to do a number of checklists recently from my phone due to CBC.

Are you submitting your own locations or registered hotspots?

Android user here, haven't had any difficulties with the app and I have it with the December 16 update and I've had to do a number of checklists recently from my phone due to CBC.

Are you submitting your own locations or registered hotspots?
It seems as though I ran into the problem when I was trying to submit from a new personal location, although I have added new locations several times before successfully. I'll try the app again from a new location in the next few days and hope it works then. Thanks for the feedback.

I had similar problems. I think it was initially due to lack of web access at one point. After, perhaps because I changed my password in the interim. It seems ok after I signed in again.

There are quite a few aspects that the developers could work on from an ergonomics point of view. For example, many of us have "patches" we regularly bird. We would assign hotspots to these so why couldn't it just cache these and let us pick from them without us having to pick from the map each time?

... And whilst it's easy to use, it's also easy to inadvertently change counts...

For problems with the app, it is possible to report those directly from the app. This is the preferred way because the developers then also will have info on which os version the phone has.
Niels

I still have a problem with the app unfortunately. Yesterday is worked well, submitting a hotspot location and a completely new personal location. Last night I logged into the website and edited a few site names and moved a couple of location pins to reflect the sites better. I did this using the 'Manage My' option.

This morning I birded one of the locations that I had edited a location pin. When I went into the app I chose the site from the suggestions as I had used it before. At the end of a 3 hour session I went to submit my sightings and the app again wouldn't let me do it, which was extremely frustrating.

I wonder if there has to be a couple of days after editing anything before things will work? The new pin for this mornings site location is perhaps a mile from the original wrong one for the site.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back