• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ED 50 Disaster (1 Viewer)

Break out the torches and the pitchforks, there's a monster in the castle!

There's an alternative kids, buy an EDIII or another maker's 60mm scope at much greater cost and weight and size. I suppose the ED50 may not be as robust as some other scopes, that's not a reason to paint with such a broad brush. I seem to recall Kowa TSN and Leica 77 scopes breaking in two, occasionally and once upon a time, and they weren't plastic. We're up to a grand total of two citing a problem with these scopes. By my way of figuring, not an epidemic.

Other companies have, at times, also had missteps regarding warranty issues. I do agree it's a fool's errand for Nikon not to fully cover this repair however.

Last edited:
Break out the torches and the pitchforks, there's a monster in the castle!

There's an alternative kids, buy an EDIII or another maker's 60mm scope at much greater cost and weight and size. I suppose the ED50 may not be as robust as some other scopes, that shouldn't call for some to paint with such a broad brush. I seem to recall Kowa TSN and Leica 77 scopes breaking in two, occasionally and once upon a time, and they weren't plastic. We're up to a grand total of two citing a problem with these scopes. By my way of figuring, not an epidemic.

Well said Kevin, let's not get carried away. Hands up anybody else that has had an ED50 break in half

Surely that is not the issue, whether the scope breaks, but rather Nikon's niggardly response.
If the incident is indeed rare, it costs little to keep the customer happy.
If it is frequent, it points out a design flaw that wants fixing..
I'm hopeful this type of failure is rare, but I'd really now be concerned that cheeseparing management is the new Nikon style.

Surely that is not the issue, whether the scope breaks, but rather Nikon's niggardly response.
If the incident is indeed rare, it costs little to keep the customer happy.
If it is frequent, it points out a design flaw that wants fixing..

Well put. We´re not "knocking" either Nikon products in general, nor the ED50 in particular (I´m a big fan, and my two pairs of EII´s, and my two...yes two, for complicated reasons...ED50´s, take pride of place on my altar to the Optics Gods). But precisely because we enthuse so much about the ED50 in particular, and because the Opticron competition (whose service is top-class) have just brought out a serious competitor, one would expect Nikon to "give a little" in terms of after-sales service.

As far as i know it's not a problem for the people across the pond only here in the UK. The ED50 is sold with a 10 year warranty but not like your "No Fault" version so if the manufacturer spots a get out clause they go for it.

Last edited:
I own an ED50. The Nikon warranty is not transferrable in the UK if ownership changes. In the US it is, and I believe it is a lifetime warranty - any repairs done for a nominal cost. Personally I think the differences between the Nikon position in UK and the US is OUTRAGEOUS and I absolutely would NOT own a Nikon ED50 if there was anything as good available. I used to have a Swarovski and there is no comparison - in terms of customer service Nikon is in the gutter.
Sean

I think we're mostly all in agreement here in that Nikon UK isn't handling warranty issues as well as they could/should. The number of incidents of ED50s breaking apart probably falls into the general background noise of failures, for whatever reason, of most manufacturers. My comments were more specifically directed at M31M45's comments, as these things sometimes take on a life of their own and his conclusions are unwarranted, IMO.

I like Nikon products, a lot, so I'm glad I live in the US as far as warranty issues go.

Not sure if I ever got to mention this on one of the rave ED50 threads, but I covered mine in cheap (£1) sticky backed foam insulation tape, and then covered it with duct tape. Makes me feel a lot happier 'throwing' it around in my rucksack/back of the car (plus it was one of the discounted pink ones too), or if it were ever to accidently and suddenly meet a hard surface.

Have to admit to being a little surpised that one just split in half. With no evidence of otherwise being dropped (ie internals unaffected, plus the customers word that they did not drop it), I would imagine either Nikon or the retailer (Kay Optical) should really be looking at sorting this one without Chris having to fork out for it...

...I covered mine in cheap (£1) sticky backed foam insulation tape, and then covered it with duct tape. Makes me feel a lot happier 'throwing' it around in my rucksack/back of the car (plus it was one of the discounted pink ones too)...
I recently bought a pink one from a gentleman BF member...I´d love to cover it with camo and duct-tape too, but then, it wouldn´t be pink anymore....

2000 persons, exactly the sort of person likely to buy this product, have now viewed this thread and seen rather shoddy response by Nikon to a fairy simple issue - had they simply repaired the item, the post would have ended up as a good little advert for their service, instead an advert of their failings.

£106, such a high price to secure valuable advertising amongst key clients for the product?

As far as i know it's not a problem for the people across the pond only here in the UK. The ED50 is sold with a 10 year warranty but not like your "No Fault" version so if the manufacturer spots a get out clause they go for it.

I've just bought the Hawke Frontier ED, the warranty that came with it states:

"your new optical product has a limited lifetime warranty (legally restricted to 10 years in Europe) against defects in material ......."

Is this why Nikon is limited to 10 years and may explain Leica's change of heart? If so, how come Swaro still offer lifetime warranties?

Perry

I have just had a look at the warranty card for my scope. To summarise it the relevant conditions are as follows:

'Your Nikon equipment is guaranteed under the following conditions against manufacturing defects for ten years from the date of purchase.

For the first five years, the costs of repair work and replacement materials will be covered against any manufacturing defect. For further five years, the cost of replacement materials will be covered against any manufacturing defect and the cost of repair work willl be charged.

Defective equipment will be either repaired or replaced at the option of service facility.

This warranty card is issued only at the time of original purchase.

The warranty shall not be transferable nor shall it be reissued.

The warranty does not cover damages caused by accident, misuse, unauthorised repair, dropping, improper care or storage or damages resulting from sand or water, or misalignment of optical axes caused by dropping or shock.

The warranty does not extend to expendable parts such as rubber eye cups, lens caps, straps and case and the like.'

It would be interesting to know what their grounds were for rejecting the claim. A scope breaking in half would seem to indicate a manufacturing defect, unless it had been dropped or misused. It would appear that they suspect the latter had happened, despite the original poster stating that this was not the case. It's interesting to see damage by water as one of the reasons for exclusion!

Ultimately I think it is extremely bad publicity for Nikon and I genuinely feel rather disappointed in them.

With reference to a previous post and to be pedantic, I think there is a considerable difference between 2000 viewings of this thread and 2000 potential purchasers!

Ron

Last edited:
Ron, Google up anything on Nikon 50 ED spotting scope and there is at least one link to Birdforum and that will bring you to here. Try- problems with nikon 50 ed spotting scope splitting in two?

Regards,Steve

I was not trying to stir up any large negative sentiment against Nikon in my comments related to their position in fixing something of this nature and that they are now low on my list of option for future purchases. What I was hoping was that Nikon on occasion does look at these type websites and take to heart what their existing and possible future customers are saying. They need to realize that decisons of this nature can affect people's decision on if they purchase from them or not and they can act accordingly but should also be prepared to suffer the consequencesof whatever decision they make.

If I was the thread originator, I would seriously consider trading in the nikon scope once repaired for the opticron 52mm

Niels

That would be a shame as her Xmas pressie was a Cley Spy case for the ED50. At least let her try it out for a while.:king:

If I was the thread originator, I would seriously consider trading in the nikon scope once repaired for the opticron 52mm

Niels

Not sure I would get too many takers!!:-O

In any event up until it split in two we were absolutely delighted with it - excellent image for the size of the scope! Once we get it back we wil stick with it - hopefully the repair will be guaranteed anyway!

Chris

Snapped mine in two (exactly the same joint) last year, this time it was my 14st weight that did the damage. I slipped and fell on it so no maufacturing defect, but does now seem that the ED50 design is flawed in that area.
Decided to claim on my house insurance and it was sent of to Nikon for estimate. Came back around £170 for repair but the distributor (who sent it to Nikon) stated the guarantee would only be 6 months and the repair could not be guaranteed waterproof. (strange if Nikon were doing the repair were my thoughts). Anyway had a winge at the insurance company and they agreed with a little persuasion that it would be better to get a new one under insurance cover and I pay the £75 quid excess. This I did so now have a new ED50 which I treat very gently. May have to resort to the above noted strengthening measures as it really is a nice neat scope if you do plenty of legwork

I'm some what shocked to see this pictures and the greatly saddened the Nikon UK have treated their British customers so poorly.

As a fairly new owner of one of these scopes I can honestly say I would have bought something else had I seen this thread first.

I have post this information on a couple of *very* large American websites and will continue to draw this thread to peoples attention when this scope is discussed.

Nikon need to learn that in the age of internet, poor customer service will cost them customers big time...

Despite great care attaching and removing tripod plates (I use a monopod and a tripod) my ED50's helicoil partly pulled out.

I sent it to Nikon UK for repair with a letter pointing out this was a known problem (thanks to everyone who has posted about this), and therefore asking them to consider repairing it free of charge. The foot is attached by 4 small screws and 1 large one, and provided it's the only damaged bit, it can presumably be changed out in less than 5 minutes.

I posted the scope to Nikon on a Wednesday using Royal Mail Special Delivery which is Next Day Delivery, and included insurance. The following Monday I receive an email acknowledgement that it had been received, and 3 days later on the Thursday I got the scope back repaired free of charge, quoting 1.5 hours free labour (guess that includes unpacking and re-packing). Taking out a day each end for transit that's a 5 working day turnaround at Nikon, which I think is pretty good these days.

Thank you Nikon UK !

I'm some what shocked to see this pictures and the greatly saddened the Nikon UK have treated their British customers so poorly.

As a fairly new owner of one of these scopes I can honestly say I would have bought something else had I seen this thread first.

I have post this information on a couple of *very* large American websites and will continue to draw this thread to peoples attention when this scope is discussed.

Nikon need to learn that in the age of internet, poor customer service will cost them customers big time...

Nikon UK don't always disappoint (see top post) I am very happy with my ED50 and i am sure there are plenty of other very happy users that have never had a problem.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back