• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ED spotting scope FPL-51 (1 Viewer)

pluton

Hello,
I Am looking for a Spotting scope with a ED Lens, but no with Cher FPL-53 ir fluorita sintéticos, but with one of FPL-51, I like knows your opinión on one...
Thanks,
Plutón.

Pluton,

Apart from Kowa, who use calcium fluoride crystal in the objectives of the 550 and 880 scopes, most spotting scope manufacturers don't reveal what glasses they use. Important is the end result and that is determined by the optical design and manufacturing quality.
Ohara FPL-53 has an Abbe No. around 95 vs. 82 for FPL-51 so for similar focal ratios would allow better correction of chromatic aberration.
FPL-53 is however more expensive.

John

Hello,
I Am looking for a Spotting scope with a ED Lens, but no with Cher FPL-53 ir fluorita sintéticos, but with one of FPL-51, I like knows your opinión on one...
Thanks,
Plutón.
My Svbony 406P claims to have ED glass. At its price point (US$250-300) it is unlikely to be using FPL-53. It may be using FPL-51 or (more likely) FK-61.

As John noted, what matters is the result. I am very happy with its visual performance. For digiscoping, blue birds and insects can show a bit of CA but (i) I am primarily a visual observer and (ii) for the price I doubt there is anything available brand new that is better.

A big thing for me with the SV406P is the ability to use 1.25" astronomical eyepieces, so I am not limited to the stock zoom (which IS good but having options is nice).

Hello,
In your opinion the zoom in the 406P model have blackout problem??
Thanks.

Short answer: Raise the twist-up eyecup.

Long answer: I wear eyeglasses to observe, and have never had blackout problems. I tried removing my eyeglasses: if the eyecup is all the way down, I get blackouts if I go too near. If I raise the eyecup, no blackouts.

Last edited:
My Svbony 406P claims to have ED glass. At its price point (US$250-300) it is unlikely to be using FPL-53. It may be using FPL-51 or (more likely) FK-61.

As John noted, what matters is the result. I am very happy with its visual performance. For digiscoping, blue birds and insects can show a bit of CA but (i) I am primarily a visual observer and (ii) for the price I doubt there is anything available brand new that is better.

A big thing for me with the SV406P is the ability to use 1.25" astronomical eyepieces, so I am not limited to the stock zoom (which IS good but having options is nice).
I read these Svbony 406P scope discussions out of curiosity. The body style reminds me of the Zen Ray , when first introduced many here on this Forum were quite positive and very enthusiastic about purchasing these. I wonder if the SVBONY SV406P is the exact scope with a new armor wardrobe change ?

I read these Svbony 406P scope discussions out of curiosity. The body style reminds me of the Zen Ray , when first introduced many here on this Forum were quite positive and very enthusiastic about purchasing these. I wonder if the SVBONY SV406P is the exact scope with a new armor wardrobe change ?
I just checked their prices on Ebay, a few hundred dollars less than the original Zen Ray with a different Zoom. ED glass … these Svbony would be a better deal if they are the clone of the Zen Ray price wise.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back