• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eden Estuary News (1 Viewer)

Hi all,

I will be in St. Andrews tomorrow. Any idea what is the birding condition in Eden estuary at the moment?

Akhil

Blows dust off thread.
We paid a couple of visits to the Eden Estuary centre on Saturday, either side of high tide. Plenty of curlew sandpipers at the moment (11 on the second visit), also 4 ruff, several greenshank, a couple of ospreys. In the morning there was a little egretoutside the hide. Interestingly when something flushed all the herons from their roost on the north side of the estuary mouth (presumably a white-tailed eagle, but we never saw it) no fewer than 5 further egrets flew out. I suspect this is a Fife record count. Glad we downgraded them from the local rarities list!

Rob

It great to hear from you again Rob. It's good to hear that the egret numbers are building.

Eden Estuary does it again!!

Great to read your reports again Rob.Being the son of a Fifer (my late father was born In St Andrews and raised In Radernie) I always have an Interest In the birds of the Kingdom and the Eden In particular.

I was hoping for a whole day in fife today looking for new birds for my 2014 list,i left at 9.30 and never got home until 8.30(got a bit disoriented in tentsmuir forest)it was windy when I left the house started raining while on the bridge and visibility was down to 10 feet due to fog between guardbridge and kilminning :C,the only birds I could make out at kilminning were magpies, and that was because they were resting on signs in front of me,the eden centre didn't let me down though 2 new birds for my list,little egret and greenshank, the egrets 2 were just to the right of the hide the greenshank right in front of the hide,another birder picked up a common scoter flying in the distance but it was too far for my binoculars,i usually like to check out the area between the hide and the bridge(used to be a petrol pump here) but I see that there is some building work going on and it now looks to be out of bound

6 widgeon and a single gadwall at Morton lochs

Attachments

• magpie.JPG
    magpie.JPG
    59.7 KB · Views: 75
Briefly popped into the Guardbridge hide this afternoon.

4 little egrets, spotted redshank, 1 sanderling, loads of dunlin, redshank, godwits and greenshank. Also, a group of 6 whooper swans were in resting on the mud. The warden/ranger was there and knot, grey & golden plover, ruff were also seen.

Nice wee purple patch late afternoon today (Saturday 9/8/15)from the Eden estuary hide at Guardbridge. Peregrine fly past close in (camera wouldn't focus quickly enough!), Osprey fishing, 1 Little Egret, Great Spotted Woodpecker youngster on the feeders, Kingfisher flypast and best of all a rather big surprise and a first for me in Fife - a juvenile Cuckoo flying past (it fooled the waders which spooked making us think the Peregrine was back again).

Also Common Sandpiper, 1 Knot in summer plumage, lots of Lapwings, a possible Whimbrel, Tree Sparrows, Dunlin in summer plumage, Kestrel, Canada Geese, 2 Black Tailed Godwits in summer plumage and a ringed Oystercatcher youngster (white S48).

Attachments

• cuckoo.jpg
    cuckoo.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 92
Well done Barry. Never got cuckoo on the garden list when we lived there. Called in yesterday morning and saw 3 little egrets plus a couple of peregrine flypasts.

Rob

i visited the eden area yesterday looking for the egrets, I found 3 resting on the far bank past the bridge, a low flying osprey spooked them and they began feeding,looking at my pics one looks larger than the others,this could be an optical illusion as the pics were taken at a distance

Attachments

• eg1.jpg
    eg1.jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 75
  • eg2.jpg
    eg2.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 87
Been a wee while since anyone has added to this almost forgotten thread....popped over to Guardbridge yesterday afternoon for a few hours in the Eden Estuary Centre. A decent mixture of birds seen.

Blackbird, Black Headed Gull, Black Tailed Godwit, Blue Tit, Buzzard, Carrion Crow, Chaffinch, Coal Tit, Common Gull, Cormorant, Curlew, Dunlin, Dunnock, Eider, Goldeneye, Goldfinch, Goosander, Great Black Backed Gull, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Great Tit, Greenfinch, Grey Heron, Greylag Goose, Herring Gull, Knot, Lesser Black Backed Gull, Little Egret, Magpie, Mallard, Meadow Pipit, Mute Swan, Oystercatcher, Pintail, Red Breasted Merganser, Redshank, Robin, Feral Pigeon, Sand Martin, Shelduck, Teal, Tree Sparrow, Tufted Duck, White Tailed Eagle, Whooper Swan (90!), Woodpigeon.

Have visited a few times over the past month - found 3 colour ringed Black Tailed Godwits ( 2 ringed in Montrose Basin and another ringed at/in The Wash. Also a Treecreeper was seen near the feeders on another visit.

http://stonefactionbirding2014.blogspot.co.uk/2016/04/good-afternoon-guardbridge-27316.html
Blog post covering 27/3 visit.

http://stonefactionbirding2014.blogspot.co.uk/2016/03/guardbridge-goodies-14316.html
Another blog post covering 14/3 visit.

http://stonefactionbirding2014.blogspot.co.uk/2016/03/afternoon-in-st-andrews-9316.html
An aborted trip to Guardbridge resulting in a visit to St Andrews instead.

For what it's worth, I made my first visit to the Eden Estuary in years on the 7th. Highlights were a summer plumaged Slavonian Grebe off Out Head and a Black Redstart at the top end of West Sands Road (pic attached).

Attachments

• DSCN7415.jpg
    DSCN7415.jpg
    412.1 KB · Views: 78
Cracking breeding plumaged Spotted Redshank opposite the Guardbridge hide (but nearer the bridge) this lunchtime....and a single Barnacle Goose later on. Keypad on hide door didn't work for me (despite 4 or 5 attempts) but got inside later, so if you're trying to get in it may take a few tries.

Attachments

• D71_1179 20160507_114633 res.jpg
    D71_1179 20160507_114633 res.jpg
    202.4 KB · Views: 73
New visitor.

Hi guys,
I've been reading this thread with great interest as I'm only half an hour or so from Guardbridge. Have past through it many times. I'd be very interested in visiting the hide that is mentioned. I'd be very grateful if someone could let me know what is involved in gaining access and where exactly the hide is.

Hi Gander

There's a wee car park right beside the papermill. Go through the little gate into the park and you'll see the hide if you follow the footpath.

I'll PM you with the entry code.

There's an Opus article for the area (which needs some information added to it). However, at the bottom are some links, one of which is a map, showing where the hide is.

Hi,
New pair of binoculars arriving today. I've been using a 40 year old pair of Pathescope 16x50s, so I'm hoping that my new Opticron 8x42 will make things a little easier, especially closer up.

To test the new glasses out properly, it is my intention to head for the Eden estuary hide. This will be my first bird watching trip to an estuary and will be testing for me as I haven't got much clue about waders. But it should be fun learning. Anyway, a couple of quick questions. Is there a best time of day for spotting birds on the estuary and is there a best state of tide. I've noted that low tide on Monday morning is about 09:13 hrs.

After the Eden, I was then thinking of moving on to Morton Lochs, so should be a great day.

Hi Gander

The best times are an hour before or after high tide generally. Between times, you could walk back to the roundabout then along the river. I've only done that once, but it was rather pleasant.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back