• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

EDG 7/8/10 x42 still in production? (1 Viewer)

ukorim

It's likely that the EDG may still be in production and not just new old stock for European countries (I know they no longer ship to the US). The 7/8/10x42 have just come back into stock on the Nikon UK website and I just received a new 8x42 EDG from Nikon as a replacement with a later serial than the copies I've seen on the Internet (ser 3014xx).
I know there are some knowledgeable people on here about Nikon serial numbers so maybe someone can confirm this?

Kyoie in Japan is selling a pair for ~$1250 but it looks like a closeout. It's like the ghost ship sailing the seas - appears briefly then vanishes again...it doesn't sound like these will get serviced by USA Nikon anymore, a bit risky for US residents but Kyoie is very reliable and the price is good

here's one on USA Amazon...they want extra money though. If I hadn't just bought 8x42's myself I would have tried the ones from Kyoie....

What is odd to me is the 8X32 was a much better seller than the 10X32, so to me OK - they have all but the 8X32 in in stock. I am a bit hesitant that they are still being produced in Japan. My opinion they are clearing out the surplus.

My opinion they are clearing out the surplus.
Hi Andy,

I don't know what to think of it either?

Nikon Germany now has the 7x42, 8x42, 10x42 and 10x32 in stock again, a photo dealer has the 7/8/10x42 in stock, other dealers can obtain the EDG at short notice, but the 8x32 seems to be history.

A very unclear matter.

Andreas

I'd be interested to hear anyone with the EDG 8x42, how your serial number compares to the new pair I received this week from Nikon UK with serial 301xxx.
From what I can see most have a serial in the range 300xxx?

Hi Andy,

I don't know what to think of it either?

Nikon Germany now has the 7x42, 8x42, 10x42 and 10x32 in stock again, a photo dealer has the 7/8/10x42 in stock, other dealers can obtain the EDG at short notice, but the 8x32 seems to be history.

A very unclear matter.

Andreas
I was told by Nikon UK that 8/10x32 are discontinued and 7/8/10x42 are available. Although the Nikon.de website lists the 10x32, it states "out of stock", same as the UK site so this statement is probably correct.

Last edited:
I'd be interested to hear anyone with the EDG 8x42, how your serial number compares to the new pair I received this week from Nikon UK with serial 301xxx.
From what I can see most have a serial in the range 300xxx?
I have new in box 8x32 and 8x42 EDG's with USA warranty that I bought mid 2012. They have been sitting in my closet for the past 10 years, so perhaps I should sell them. The serial # on the 8x42 is 3005xx

I have new in box 8x32 and 8x42 EDG's with USA warranty that I bought mid 2012. They have been sitting in my closet for the past 10 years, so perhaps I should sell them. The serial # on the 8x42 is , perhaps the 301xxx is a new production run? Nikon is a mystery!

I have new in box 8x32 and 8x42 EDG's with USA warranty that I bought mid 2012. They have been sitting in my closet for the past 10 years, so perhaps I should sell them. The serial # on the 8x42 is 3005xx
Thanks, perhaps the 301xxx is a new production run? Nikon is a mystery!

Thanks, perhaps the 301xxx is a new production run? Nikon is a mystery!
From my serial #, it would appear that less than 500 were made to get to 301xxx. Who knows when they were produced. Mine are in black boxes with EDG in gold on the top, and in black on black on the sides

I posted some info in another discussion concerning this topic about the EDG’s. I’ve been in conversation with Nikon UK via email for the lsat two weeks, Nikon doesn’t seem to be able to answer multiple questions in one email so it takes a while to get all my questions answered.

Heres where it stands, all EDG’s except the 8 x 32 which have been discontinued are in production and can be ordered from multiple dealers in the UK and some other countries. I have the list somewhere. These are not new old stock. These can be bought in the United States but have to be bought from one of those overseas dealers. Nikon UK does service them and continues their warranty, but they will have to be mailed back overseas for service and repair.

Paul

Attachments

• 599CF2F5-1AAE-451C-8B1F-E0F2FA694EEB.jpeg
    599CF2F5-1AAE-451C-8B1F-E0F2FA694EEB.jpeg
    246.3 KB · Views: 43
  • 1537F29F-8A39-4B6F-986E-79A8E5F58D0C.jpeg
    1537F29F-8A39-4B6F-986E-79A8E5F58D0C.jpeg
    341.6 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
So that clears it up, thanks Paul. Wow....I've been using a pair of Nikon 8x42 HG's for many years as my primary binocular. If I hadn't just upgraded to Zeiss SF 8x42 I would have bought the 8x42 EDG from Kyoie in about one second. I love the Nikon focuser and the flat-field views. They're also only 27 ounces like the SF. The only advantage of the current SF I can see is maybe a % or two of higher light throughput.

So that clears it up, thanks Paul. Wow....I've been using a pair of Nikon 8x42 HG's for many years as my primary binocular. If I hadn't just upgraded to Zeiss SF 8x42 I would have bought the 8x42 EDG from Kyoie in about one second. I love the Nikon focuser and the flat-field views. They're also only 27 ounces like the SF. The only advantage of the current SF I can see is maybe a % or two of higher light throughput.
I love those EDG’s , but at over $2000 for a 20 year old design and with all the latest options available today is a tough pill to swallow. For a collector a whole set of them would be sweet.

Paul

The EDG was started in Production in 2010 as the EDG 1 then a year or two later the EDG II (present model was placed into production).

The EDG (and HG) 42mm's are 10% lighter in weight than Swaro EL, NL, Leica Noctivid, and many of us find the focuser superior to anything else out there. Many people prefer Nikons' flat field design because it doesn't seem to warp the FOV as much as others (RB). For me the light weight is very important.

Supposedly the EDG transmission is 90%, which is equal to Swaro EL's and only 1-2% behind the Zeiss, Leica 42's. Also, FWIW, Zeiss actually followed Nikon's lead with the EDG. When Zeiss moved from HT to SF they reduced transmission from 94-95% to 90-92%, making the sacrifice to add optics that increased field flatness. You can't buy an "alpha" 42mm binocular with 95% transmission any more. Zeiss 54mm HT still has 95% but is poor on edge correction.

Last edited:
The EDG was started in Production in 2010 as the EDG 1 then a year or two later the EDG II (present model was placed into production).
I stand corrected, I somehow had the idea these started back when the SE’s came out. Not such an old design after all. Theres very little to complain about with the EDG’s , their right up there with the best, they do everything so well. It does become a tough choice when were getting over $2000 , especially after you look through a Noctivid or NL. Even the EL’s and Ultravids make it a hard choice.

The EDG (and HG) 42mm's are 10% lighter in weight than Swaro EL, NL, Leica Noctivid, and many of us find the focuser superior to anything else out there. Many people prefer Nikons' flat field design because it doesn't seem to warp the FOV as much as others (RB). For me the light weight is very important.

Supposedly the EDG transmission is 90%, which is equal to Swaro EL's and only 1-2% behind the Zeiss, Leica 42's. Also, FWIW, Zeiss actually followed Nikon's lead with the EDG. When Zeiss moved from HT to SF they reduced transmission from 94-95% to 90-92%, making the sacrifice to add optics that increased field flatness. You can't buy an "alpha" 42mm binocular with 95% transmission any more. Zeiss 54mm HT still has 95% but is poor on edge correction.
Swarovski Habicht’s 96%😉. I believe the lowered transmission from the current SF and others is because Abbe-Koenig prisms are not being used anymore, other than a few hold outs , 56 SLC, Vortex UHD and I believe Conquest in 56.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back