• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

EDG bino offer. (1 Viewer)

Ingle1970

England
Buy a Nikon EDG and get a free Coolpix P300!
Wouldn't it be better if they just give you a £300 discount of the price of the bin?.
Wonder if anyone will buy one now?..

How about a free Nikon EDG if you buy a Nikon Coolpix P300? Now that's more like it!

("Why do we need binoculars? To sort the Wheatears from the Chaffinches").

Nikon did this here in the USA also when they introduced the double hinged version. And they even kept it active after they lowered the prices on it. I got one with my 10 x 32 EDG. I thought it was a good deal. If you don't want it I guess you could tell them to keep it. I didn't know it could be an insult to you Brits. Somebody should tell Nikon they have offended you. After they apologize for this foo paw or fox pass I expect they will sell more over there.

Bob;)

It's not a faux pas by Nikon, and no offence is taken (at least not by me) of this simple marketing ploy, enabling Nikon to possibly shift a few more P300s or more likely to soften the blow of the relatively high-priced EDG. I've a high regard for Nikon, having purchased dozens of their products over the years: I still have 10 Nikon binoculars, and even more of their cameras! It's just that I expect Nikon not only to beat the competition but also undercut them on price. I also like Zeiss but, for some inexplicable reason, I don't expect them to beat Nikon's price, although I do assume they'll beat Leica's and Swaro's prices! Doesn't make sense, does it? But that's my perception of the 'alpha' market, as no doubt inculcated and manipulated by the 'image' makers. Is a Swarovision the most expensive because it's the best, or is it deemed to be the best because it's the most expensive?
As for me, any price over £400 ($650) is unconscionable, so I'll have to wait a few years until maybe used EDGs come down to a price I can justify to myself (and my wife?)...

Hi James,
Of course I was attempting to be droll! No criticism of the storied British "Stiff Upper Lip" was intended I assure you. I also have about a dozen Nikon binoculars but you are way ahead of me in cameras. I got my Nikon EDG I at their closeout price of $999.00, which also included the camera. While I expect the current price of their new EDG II will get lower (to reflect Nikon's traditional policy of pricing their Alpha's below the prices charged by their 3 rivals) I don't think they will get anywhere near $999.00. I would expect them to be about $200.00 or so less. The free camera reflects that policy right now.

I haven't tried any of the other Alpha's recently so I can't comment on how the EDG compares with them. I can tell you that the 10 x 32 EDG is visibly, to me, much better optically than my 10 x 32 LX L which had an excellent review in Alula in 2004, I think. The EDG is visibly brighter; has better control of flare; much better eyecups; slower, more precise focusing; better ergonomics in the hand, and still has that big "sweetspot" and great edges like the SE's have. It also is tripod adaptable which is new. I tested them against my 10 x 35 EII and they were brighter in late twilight conditions. And they held their own with my 10 x 42 SE in varied daylight conditions although I would rank the SE slightly better on the edges of the view and in contrast and color. But it is close.

Bob

If you know how many Nikons you own you don't have enough!

Yes, at their current price point, I would skip the EDGs and pay a little more to get the Swarovision. But at $999 with a free DSLR, the EDG I was the best binocular deals out there, together with the $450 Nikon SEs, and maybe the $400 Leupold GR HDs.

Yes, at their current price point, I would skip the EDGs and pay a little more to get the Swarovision. But at $999 with a free DSLR, the EDG I was the best binocular deals out there, together with the $450 Nikon SEs, and maybe the $400 Leupold GR HDs.

It was a digital camera, not a digital SLR--now that _would_ have been a good deal! --AP

Ah, that may explain it. The D3000 was considered 'so-so' over here, but the D3100 was a big improvement, so maybe Nikon were shifting surplus D3000s as well as providing an incentive to buy the EDG? Whatever, it was an attractive deal unlikely to be matched in the foreseeable future, so I'll just have to wait for my EDG, comforted by Bob's comment that he would rank the 8x42 SE "slightly better on the edges of the view and in contrast and color". Since I now have 8x, 10x and 12x SEs, I think the wait might be tolerable...

Ah, that may explain it. The D3000 was considered 'so-so' over here, but the D3100 was a big improvement, so maybe Nikon were shifting surplus D3000s as well as providing an incentive to buy the EDG? Whatever, it was an attractive deal unlikely to be matched in the foreseeable future, so I'll just have to wait for my EDG, comforted by Bob's comment that he would rank the 8x42 SE "slightly better on the edges of the view and in contrast and color". Since I now have 8x, 10x and 12x SEs, I think the wait might be tolerable...

James,
That would be the 10 x 42 SE vs the 10 x 32 EDG which I compared. I expect, with your collection of SE's you will find a comparable EDG to match with one of them.
Bob

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back