• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia

Edinburgh (1 Viewer)

Himalaya

I will be in Edinburgh for a few nights early next week.

I will be with my wife and children so would not be able to to any wild far flung places or long journeys. Where is the nearest place I could see:-

Capercaillie
Crested Tit
Scottish Crossbill
White Tailed Eagle
Golden Eagle

any other Scottish specialities would be lovely too as long as they are easy to get to

I might do a trip to Loch Leven on one day and maybe even Braemer on another day.

No tickets to the castle available and other indoor attractions seem pretty booked up.

mjh73

Australia
All of these will be tricky to get near Edinburgh.
A decent trip up the A9 to Speyside (or west coast for the WTE) and a couple of days effort required.

mjh73

Australia
I would recommend this though The wonder of wildlife
Short drive (I think accessible by train maybe too?) and well worth a boat trip - did the 3 islands seabird boat trip with my 11 year old when we were back in 2018, we loved it.

david kelly

Drive-by Birder
Scotland
How far do you want to travel? All these species are at least 2 hours from Edinburgh. There has been a White-tailed Eagle in East Lothian but it’s not exactly twitchable.

Stonefaction

Stuck in Dundee.....
Scotland
Possibility of White Tailed Eagle at the Eden Estuary in Fife, potentially viewable from Guardbridge or St Andrews (Out Head), but it is only a fairly slim possibility at this time of year. A lot of luck would likely be required. Possibility of Osprey there too.

ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia

Users who are viewing this thread