• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Egypt: House Sparrow (Subspecies)? (1 Viewer)

JarJar

Hi there,

I think, House Sparrow should be right here... are ther any kind of Subspecies in Egyt?

Best regards and thanks a lot,
Chris

Seen in Egypt, red sea north of El Quesir, 07. October 2012

Attachments

• DSC09946.jpg
    DSC09946.jpg
    240.5 KB · Views: 16
  • DSC09837.jpg
    DSC09837.jpg
    429.3 KB · Views: 16
Hi there,

I think, House Sparrow should be right here... are ther any kind of Subspecies in Egyt?

Best regards and thanks a lot,
Chris

Seen in Egypt, red sea north of El Quesir, 07. October 2012
According to IOC11.1, niloticus appears predominant, but tingitanus occurs in NW Africa, which presumably includes Egypt.
MJB

According to IOC11.1, niloticus appears predominant, but tingitanus occurs in NW Africa, which presumably includes Egypt.
MJB
As you say, niloticus is the prevalent subspecies in the Nile Valley, however I am not sure about the Red Sea coast. Certainly indicus is present on the Saudi side of the coast and assumed to be the one in Southern Israel/Sinai. It is as likely that this is the one present here as 'escapees' from the Nile Valley.
Most parties say that tingitanus is no closer than Libya.
With species such as this and recognising the volumes of shipping in the area, it is highly likely that this species is actually a mix of forms now.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back