• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

    You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

El Yeso Reservoir - Chile (1 Viewer)

Alan henry

Well-known member
I am doing a day trip to El Yeso Reservoir on 18th December just wondering if any BF members have been there in the last year or so.

If yes was the Diademed Sandpiper seen.

Any info on locations of birds would be great

Thanks in advance


Alan
 

aegithalos

Well-known member
Alan henry said:
I am doing a day trip to El Yeso Reservoir on 18th December just wondering if any BF members have been there in the last year or so.

If yes was the Diademed Sandpiper seen.

Any info on locations of birds would be great

Thanks in advance


Alan

I attempted it in April last year, with a small hire car. The road is dirt, of quality that varies from good to very bad, and climbs high. I made it to the dam wall, but the continuation round the reservoir was too dodgy for me. I was already uncertain about getting back over some of the bits that I had come up on. I quit while I was ahead, and made it back, with a number of good birds. If I have a chance again, it will be with a bigger car, and I will allow more time: the entire day, starting at the nearest possible overnight point, as I lost a lot time driving round Santiago to get to the approach road.

It is a fine area: recommended even if you don't make it all the way!

Aegithalos
 

hamish a

Well-known member
Alan henry said:
I am doing a day trip to El Yeso Reservoir on 18th December just wondering if any BF members have been there in the last year or so.

If yes was the Diademed Sandpiper seen.

Any info on locations of birds would be great

Thanks in advance


Alan

I was @ El Yeso this time last year.The road alongside the reservoir had been blocked sometime due to a landslide but my 4X4 managed to get through with some difficulty.I can give you some specific directions for the sandpipers & some photo's which highlight the area you need to start searching.Seen very well last year.
Neil
 

Alan henry

Well-known member
hamish a said:
I was @ El Yeso this time last year.The road alongside the reservoir had been blocked sometime due to a landslide but my 4X4 managed to get through with some difficulty.I can give you some specific directions for the sandpipers & some photo's which highlight the area you need to start searching.Seen very well last year.
Neil


Hi Hamish,

Have sent you a PM with email address for the directions and photographs

Cheers

Alan
 

Alan henry

Well-known member
aegithalos said:
I attempted it in April last year, with a small hire car. The road is dirt, of quality that varies from good to very bad, and climbs high. I made it to the dam wall, but the continuation round the reservoir was too dodgy for me. I was already uncertain about getting back over some of the bits that I had come up on. I quit while I was ahead, and made it back, with a number of good birds. If I have a chance again, it will be with a bigger car, and I will allow more time: the entire day, starting at the nearest possible overnight point, as I lost a lot time driving round Santiago to get to the approach road.

It is a fine area: recommended even if you don't make it all the way!

Aegithalos


Thanks for the Info

Alan
 

Alan henry

Well-known member
Well I did the trip with a Chilean Birder called Jean Paul who lives in Santiago.

It was simply fantastic with the star birds being a pair Diademed Sandpiper, lots of other great birds including 30+ Mountain Parakeets in 3 flocks I of which had 16 birds feeding less than twenty metres away.

Road was in great shape but having a 4x4 Montara certainly helped.


Cheers


Alan
 

njlarsen

Gallery Moderator
Opus Editor
Supporter
Barbados
Alan, how did you arrange your day up there? I have a meeting in Santiago in November, and will probably have a day before the meeting to do this outing.

thanks
Niels
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top